From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview projects in music and sound engineering

Hi,

this is my first post in the forum. I'm in the final year of my electronics and instrumentation engineering course and I have to take up a project relating to my field (electronics, embedded systems, signals & systems and digital signal processing are some of my subjects). Being a musician and a sound engineering enthusiast, I want to take up a project which combines my passion with my area of study.

I would be really grateful if someone can guide me to choose a project of the above description in which LabVIEW can be used. I was thinking on the lines of non linear audio effects but I'm open to ideas.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(6,874 Views)

Are you looking for something like this?

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
Message 2 of 15
(6,864 Views)

Thanks for the quick reply. That's a very interesting video but a simple looper can do what he did in the video. I'm not sure what exactly he did. I'll try contacting Vineet from the video. I'm not really sure what LabVIEW can do in my case as i mentioned in the first post. I have to implement the project in 6 months' time, if that helps.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(6,852 Views)

Just a warning for your project. The system showed in this demo is quite expensive. Ni like to do fancy demos. But they often forget to say anything of the total system cost in the demonstration. If you plan to do a low cost variant and use a sound card. You should know that the Labview sound card interface is very primitive. And full of bugs. And since NI neglect this interface bugs are not taken care of. If you are not aware of this limitations your project may end in disaster. Like if you plan to do synchronized sound input/output and some low latency "real time" signal processing. Just forget it before even thinking about it. To be honest. Blame the flimsy NI sound card interface, alone for this. Is not fair. As Windows is far from a real time OS. And real time operations require real time systems. If you limit your project to do post sound processing and use large chunks of data. Say you update data to sound card in .5 seconds intervals. It may work.  

Good luck with your project    

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(6,841 Views)

That was my exact concern. Now that you've mentioned it, i'll have think of something else. Any suggestions from your side?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(6,803 Views)

Well, I didnt see the video but would like to add something about LabVIEW sound.

You can do a simple Play and Record Project, Play the sound from the external device capture the sound data,

with this you can calculate the microphone latency, compensate this latency factor while recording the data,

adjust the gain of the system,

Play 1 record many,

Mono and Stereo type of recording.

Save the recorded data in diff sound formats, analyse the behavior of each sound format etc etc

Hope you like this idea

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(6,792 Views)

@Norbert B wrote:

Are you looking for something like this?

Norbert

I am somewhat curious about the hardware cost in this video demonstration Norbert, do you have any estimate? You may use $ or Euro.

@sanctusinfernum wrote:

That was my exact concern. Now that you've mentioned it, i'll have think of something else. Any suggestions from your side?

Off the top of my head I have no ideas. But I could help in deciding what can done, or not done. At least regarding sound processing using Labview and sound card. Work close with your teacher and be careful to not select a to ambitious project. If you sense your teacher is skeptic a difficult project he/she is most probably correct.  

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(6,758 Views)

Here is the motherload....

http://cnx.org/content/m15510/latest/

Message 8 of 15
(6,714 Views)

Wow! That link contains almost everything I would need. Thanks a ton! I wish I could do something for you in return. Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(6,689 Views)

I hope I was not misinterpreted. Because you can do a lot of cool post processing of the data in Labview using sound card as output. Given that you use appropriate chunks of data around 0.5 second. What you can not do is any sort of real time or tight simultan synchronized sound IO. Like you can not hook up your electrical guitar via an amplifier to your sound card. And do a online reverb. Unless you can accept a 0.5 second sound letency

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(6,679 Views)