From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview over internet

I am in the process of connecting Labview with an Allen Bradley PLC (SLC-500).  I wanted to know how I can make this so that I can control labview over the internet.  I also would like to make labview run on a home network.  I have a Linksys wireless router and I want to be able to see my labview running from anywhere on any computer over my network.  I am not opposed to setting up a server to run labview if this is possible.  What I am ultimately trying to do is have labview running, making decisions, and controlling the PLC.  I want to control my whole house with labview and be able to access it from anywhere.  So if I am across the country and my neighbors call and say I left my kitchen light on, all I have to do is get on the internet and turn it off.  This is probably going to be really complicated but I know it is possible because I have heard of similar things being done.  If anyone knows of anything that will help me please let me know.

Thank You
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,798 Views)
The hard part will be the programming of the application. Once you have that, controlling it via the internet will be very easy, about as easy as controlling it locally. 🙂

Basically, you need to have your VI running and the Web Server enabled (under options).

(In order to be able to control it remotely, use the "embedded" option in the web publishing tool.)

On the router, you need to forward the correct port to the local IP address of the PC running LabVIEW. From within the LAN, you would connect directly to the server using your browser. Form the outside, you need to point your browser to the public WAN IP of your router.

Message Edited by altenbach on 07-09-2007 05:13 PM

Message 2 of 4
(4,797 Views)

Hi, I know this is an old thread, but this is very similar to what I'm trying to do.  I have a CompactRIO with the Web Server running.  I've been able to connect to my remote panel through a browser using a direct ethernet crossover connection and everything worked as expected.  Now I have the CompactRIO connected by direct ethernet connection to a WiFi router, and I am now trying to connect to the remote front panel wirelessly from my laptop.  Both my laptop and the cRIO have a static IP address.

I've established a wireless connection between my laptop and the cRIO.  I have been able to wirelessly connect to the cRIO through the project explorer, and run and stop the VI through LabVIEW.  But when I try to access the front panel through a web browser, I get to the html file on the cRIO, and it displays the correct page title and header, but the front panel display simply gives me "Downloading panel.  0.00% of 0 bytes." and an empty progress bar.

I've played around for a few hours, but haven't had any luck.  I tried using Port Forwarding to forward port 80 on the cRIO which is the default Web Server port, but I'm not sure if I did this correctly.

Thanks very much for any input!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,497 Views)

Jeff MHRT,

Hello and thanks for using the NI Forums! However, I would ask you to make a new thread on this issue.

That being said, everytime that I've encountered the  "Downloading panel.  0.00% of 0 bytes" screen, it was due to security settings. Check to see if you have any anti-virus or firewall programs running and disable them (including windows firewall).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Ben Sisney
FlexRIO V&V Engineer
National Instruments
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,452 Views)