LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview or LabWindows?

Highlighted
Hi, Everyone,

Our company needs to build test equipment for testing some RF
equipment. We have to make a quick decision as whether to use
LabView or LabWindows.

I know LabView is a Visual Programming Tool and LabWindows is
C based. I assume performance wise LabWindows is better,
but LabView seems much simpler and we have a tight schedule.

Any recommendations and suggestions?

Thanks.

Michael Kang
Unique Broadband Systems
ymkang@uniquesys.com
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,269 Views)
Michael Kang wrote:

> Hi, Everyone,
>
> Our company needs to build test equipment for testing some RF
> equipment. We have to make a quick decision as whether to use
> LabView or LabWindows.
>
> I know LabView is a Visual Programming Tool and LabWindows is
> C based. I assume performance wise LabWindows is better,
> but LabView seems much simpler and we have a tight schedule.
>
> Any recommendations and suggestions?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Michael Kang
> Unique Broadband Systems
> ymkang@uniquesys.com

I have used both and I find that LabVIEW is much faster
during development. I am not convinced that LabWindows
is any faster (executing) since both are compiled languages.
To my mind the learning curve for LabWindows is much steeper
than LabVIEW. (Even if you know C code
)

You may find that there are some things that are easier
using LabWindows. If you are on a Wintel platform
it may be in your best interest to look at the Developers Suite
This gives you both LabVIEW and LabWindows plus a bunch
of add-ons.

If you develop some parts in LabWindows they can be incorporated
into LabVIEW (the reverse is not necessarily true.)

Good luck to you
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(1,269 Views)
An addition, the reverse for LabVIEW calling LabWindows is very nice if
you use LabWindows to create dlls. Then the dlls are very easy to load
up, deploy, and execute.

My preference is always LabVIEW but that is my own bias. Some of my
collegues default to CVI. Its just a matter of preference and what you
fell comfortable with. If you are starting from scratch, having never
used either one then I would go LabVIEW. See out as much advice and
examples as you can because programing in LabVIEW is easy, making a mess
of spegetti code in LabVIEW is also easy, making professional and
quality LabVIEW takes experience.

Have fun,

Jim

"Kevin B. Kent" wrote:

> Michael Kang wrote:
>
> > Hi, Everyone,
> >
> > Our company needs to build test equipmen
t for testing some RF
> > equipment. We have to make a quick decision as whether to use
> > LabView or LabWindows.
> >
> > I know LabView is a Visual Programming Tool and LabWindows is
> > C based. I assume performance wise LabWindows is better,
> > but LabView seems much simpler and we have a tight schedule.
> >
> > Any recommendations and suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Michael Kang
> > Unique Broadband Systems
> > ymkang@uniquesys.com
>
> I have used both and I find that LabVIEW is much faster
> during development. I am not convinced that LabWindows
> is any faster (executing) since both are compiled languages.
> To my mind the learning curve for LabWindows is much steeper
> than LabVIEW. (Even if you know C code)
>
> You may find that there are some things that are easier
> using LabWindows. If you are on a Wintel platform
> it may be in your best interest to look at the Developers Suite
> This gives you both LabVIEW and LabWindows plus a bunch
> of add-ons.
>
> If you develo
p some parts in LabWindows they can be incorporated
> into LabVIEW (the reverse is not necessarily true.)
>
> Good luck to you
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,269 Views)
The other thing that you may want to consider is the availabiltiy of outside
help in case you need to expand the size of your effort...
I believe that there are many more Labview programmers available for
contract work....

Michael Kang wrote in message
news:38c6dd03@newsgroups.ni.com...
>
> Hi, Everyone,
>
> Our company needs to build test equipment for testing some RF
> equipment. We have to make a quick decision as whether to use
> LabView or LabWindows.
>
> I know LabView is a Visual Programming Tool and LabWindows is
> C based. I assume performance wise LabWindows is better,
> but LabView seems much simpler and we have a tight schedule.
>
> Any recommendations and suggestions?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Michael Kang
> Unique Broadband Systems
> ymk
ang@uniquesys.com
>
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,269 Views)