From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview license - if I have a developer License can I 'Place and Run' the executable on many other PCs?

If I have a developer License can I 'Place and Run' the executables on many other PCs without any more licensing?

For example there is no User Licensing I have to worry about.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,840 Views)

As long as you have the Application Builder you can put executables on as many other computers as you'd like. There is no runtime license for those:

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000kIZuSAM&l=en-US

Note that base LabVIEW and most addons do not require a runtime license, but there are some that do. For example, the Vision toolkit and the Datalogging and Supervisory Control module do require paid licenses. Here is a list of all of them:

https://www.ni.com/en-us/support/documentation/supplemental/09/deployment-and-debug-licenses-for-ni-...

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(1,826 Views)

As Bert said you can deploy executables to as many target machines as you want for free. Except for certain toolkits that require a separate deployment license. (Test Stand comes to mind as one that needs a license for every deployment)

Also you CAN SELL your LV executable and source code as both the compiled executable and the source code are your (company's) intellectual property.

You can not charge for any of the required NI runtime libraries ( LabVIEW runtime, NI-VISA, NI-488.2, etc.) beyond the cost of the distribution media. That is to say you can charge for a CDROM containing all the needed NI libraries for your program but no more than the cost of the blank CDROM.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,797 Views)

One other note. I would recommend building an installer which includes the LabVIEW runtime engine. As others have said there is not license necessary, but the runtime engine is required to be installed in order for your executable to run.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,740 Views)