cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview integration with controller card other than NI

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi.

I am interested in using Labview, but I need to know if I will be able to use it in my application.

I have my own controller with a microprocessor that is not from NI. This equipment controls a touch screen, an ethernet port, an RS-485 port and digital and analog inputs / outputs.

My question is, if my team can link it to Labview in any way, so that I can make the applications with Labview and the loads on it so that they run autonomously, that is, without being necessarily connected to Labview. To be able to add control of the touch screen, with menus, display and data collection screens, communication ports, as well as control digital inputs and outputs for process automation.

Thank you very much.

Best regards

Fernando

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,158 Views)

Well it depends... 

What type of "controller" is this?

But this is the real question:

Is it Windows, Mac, or  Linux based?

As it has to be one of those for a LabVIEW program to run on the actual device.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,093 Views)

@RTSLVU wrote:

Well it depends... 

What type of "controller" is this?

But this is the real question:

Is it Windows, Mac, or  Linux based?

As it has to be one of those for a LabVIEW program to run on the actual device.

Mac is out of question. You can’t license MacOSX from Apple to run on your own hardware. Linux will only work if it is running an Intel x64 compatible CPU and it requires to have the LabVIEW for Linux IDE to built the executable. Windows will only work if it is the standard Windows Desktop Edition (Home, Standard, Professional) or if you use Windows IoT it needs to be the Enterprise Edition.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,064 Views)

@feraro wrote:

Hi.

I am interested in using Labview, but I need to know if I will be able to use it in my application.

I have my own controller with a microprocessor that is not from NI. This equipment controls a touch screen, an ethernet port, an RS-485 port and digital and analog inputs / outputs.

My question is, if my team can link it to Labview in any way, so that I can make the applications with Labview and the loads on it so that they run autonomously, that is, without being necessarily connected to Labview. To be able to add control of the touch screen, with menus, display and data collection screens, communication ports, as well as control digital inputs and outputs for process automation.

Thank you very much.

Best regards

Fernando

You are almost certainly better off replacing your controller with an application that runs on a COTS machine.

Interfacing with each type of hardware you mention is possible in many programming languages as well as providing a  user interface (Personally, I would reccomend using LabVIEW for that type of project)

I cannot advise you on your team's abilities.   However,  LabVIEW is a fairly straightforward language to learn and NI offers many resources to help people learn how to use the language. 

There are also Certified Alliance Partners that can be of assistance to you in recommending training and helping you develop your solutions. 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,047 Views)

Hi.

Thank you very much for your answers.

My controller is based on a Renesas microprocessor and the programming is done with the ThreadX OS. It is not compatible with either Linux or Windows. It is an electronic device that is programmed in C. I understand that what can be done with Labview is to establish communication with my equipment to read and write in its memory and to be able to display on a Labview screen that runs on a PC, for example , the values of its variables and to be able to carry out a type of monitoring of the process that it controls. But that in no case can I modify the firmware of my equipment to change, for example, an algorithm.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,037 Views)
Solution
Accepted by feraro

Well you basically are right. Unless your C programmed application on the controller has a method to change algorithmes through commands send to it through the network or a serial link you can not change it from your LabVIEW program.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,026 Views)