LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview integration with SEL 421 specifically in terms of Phasor measurements

Solved!
Go to solution

I am looking to get PMU data from a SEL421 relay into labview system using ethernet. I am a beginner and do not have much experience with communication blocks in labview. Can you please help me understand the concept and point me in the right direction.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,579 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author sgiyer42

Hello

-          You should configure your device as a new VISA resource. Please check the link below:

-          New VISA resource TCP/IP

-          Once this is configured properly, you should test your device using the VISA test panels, once this part works, you could move to LabVIEW.

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,558 Views)

Thanks for your previous suggestion. I tried connecting to the device using the VISA system. VISA opens up the socket to the SEL 421 but since there are no device drivers available for the SEL421, I get errors when I try to query/read using the test panels.

Please help me proceed further.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,497 Views)

You could debug your communication using Hyperterminal for example from windows. From there you could test the commands you are using, you can configure it as TCP/IP resource for HT. If you get an answer from there, VISA should work. If windows is unable to get answers from it, it is going to be difficult get an answer form VISA.

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,490 Views)

Hi, I have been using Hyper terminal for a while to communicate with the device and it works fine. I have also been using a custom software specifically designed for the SEL421 called the SEL Quickset software without any communication issues. I failed to communicate with the device using Mdbus/Jbus tester.

Issues with VISA test panels:

1. I did not find any device driver specifically for SEL 421 using IDNet.

2. When I try to read registers/send command using VISA test panels, I get I/O errors.

I have attached the some screenshots and SEL configuraton details as read from hypertrm. 

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,484 Views)

Hi, let me point you to knowledge base articles that talk about workarounds for this error.

Error -1073807298 Occurs after a VISA Read/Write

Buffer Size Error -1073807298 With TCP/IP Communication

Now, I want to let you know that there is a lot of information about this error in the web, so if you search in the web using the error code and error message you are going to find discussion forums talking about it and additional information.

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,470 Views)