LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview freezes when VI runs, must restart PC

Hey all

So a strange problem that I've been having. When I run my VI, (it seems to only happen on longer runs) Labview will freeze. I can't abort the run and when I close Labview it stays in the running processes in the task manager. I pretty much have to restart my pc to reset everything. Can anyone help?

Some background on my VI, it tells a sourcemeter to change its output, then reads from two other instruments. It does this in a step function basically to sweep from zero to a max then a min and back to zero. To get better readings it will do this multiple times and average the loops.

I'm attaching my VI in case anyone can point out a fatal flaw in the programming, or suggest any improvements 😛

Thanks!

Ian

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(4,606 Views)

Down-convert your VI to 8.5.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reese, (former CLAD, future CLD)

Some people call me the Space Cowboy!
Some call me the gangster of love.
Some people call me MoReese!
...I'm right here baby, right here, right here, right here at home
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(4,605 Views)

Nope 😕

Worked for one run, then froze on the next. The problem remains.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(4,596 Views)

Ian,

In the Ascend case "1" (also cases 2 and 3) you do not wire the VISA resource name or error out to thout output tunnels.  They are set to Use Default if Unwired. So on the next iteration the VISA Write tries to use the default value, which of course is not valid. So you are probably getting VISA time out errors, but since the error wires are not connected you do not get errors to the Error Handler.

Lynn

Use Default.png

Message 4 of 16
(4,587 Views)
In addition to the problem Lynn spotted look for memory leaks. As you code is running does it take more and more memory?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(4,585 Views)

As an additional bit of information, you can kill the LabVIEW process in the processes of the Task Manager and avoid rebooting your computer. You can't save anything this way, but then, you can't save anything when you reboot the computer either.

Rob

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(4,583 Views)

This abort.vi might be able to stop your VI, but maybe not if your process has run away with all of your memory.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(4,570 Views)

@IanMcD wrote:

Nope 😕

Worked for one run, then froze on the next. The problem remains.

I meant for you to down-convert your VI and repost it so more people can look at it.  Not everyone as LV11. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reese, (former CLAD, future CLD)

Some people call me the Space Cowboy!
Some call me the gangster of love.
Some people call me MoReese!
...I'm right here baby, right here, right here, right here at home
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(4,563 Views)

Oh, sry...my mistake. I've attached it now.

Thanks Lynn, did not even see that.

I was monitoring it while it ran and didn't see any huge jumps in memory. I took a screenshot of around when it froze; attached.

I also tried the abort.vi which didn't really seem to work. But I was able to stop it with the task manager, however it stays in the processes and when I reopen Labview it just brings up another instance. Also attached screenshot ("Labview Processes") The first one is the one that froze and the second it the one I just opened. Any ideas?

Thanks

Ian

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(4,548 Views)

So after I run abort.vi and stop my VI, I can run the program again but it won't collect any data. Once I restarted though I worked again. I've attached screenshots from my pc's vitals in an idle state with Labview open, and one right when it froze.Does this help?

Thanks

Ian

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(4,540 Views)