From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview for SPS

Hello,

in our company we use Labview to define the operation of plants for different customers. Now a customer wants to operate a plant which should be build from our company with a Siemens SPS. The plants of the customers of our company are usally very similar.

Is it possible to use the defined Labview project in an easy way for operation with a Siemens SPS?

We saw there is a possibility to use C/C++ with a Siemens SPS. Would it be a solution to migrate the Labview project to C/C++? If yes how?

Best regards,

CB1000

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(1,146 Views)

I have not heard of a Siemens SPS before.

I can tell you, there really is no way you'd want to try to "migrate" LabVIEW to C/C++.  Though it is possible to build LabVIEW VI's into .dll's that can be called by other languages.

Is SPS a software program by Siemens?  What does it do?  What interface does it have that you can communicate with it?  There are a number of ways LabVIEW can talk to other software via TCP/IP or other communication protocols.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(1,143 Views)

Hi,

the English term for SPS is PLC, and Siemens sells a lot of them...

You cannot convert your LabVIEW project into a PLC program (to put it in simple words). There are toolkits available to communicate with a Siemens PLC from LabVIEW, but this probably isn't what you want to do?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,099 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

the English term for SPS is PLC, and Siemens sells a lot of them...

Well that explains a lot.  I searched for "Siemens SPS" and just found a conference.

Yeah, PLCs are all there own thing, using Ladder Logic.  But I have communicated with PLCs using EthernetIP (NI has a good toolkit for this) and simple DIO (usually "Part Good" and/or "Part Bad" lines).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(1,062 Views)

PLC's I know.  "SPS"  I've never heard that abbreviation before.

I'm using Modbus TCP/IP to communicate with PLC's.  And they are using ladder logic for their internal programming.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(1,051 Views)

Hi,

SPS is German for "Speicher-Programmierbare Steuerung" (here)...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,043 Views)