LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview email

Has anyone had any luck with emailing new alarms with LV 8.2 DSC 8.2?  I am trying to email the description of a new alarm from the Alarm and Event Display from the DSC 8.2 module.  The recipients will remain static, but I want to change the message of the email to describe the new alarm/event.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(9,999 Views)
I am emailing people if there is a new alarm by using the Alarm notification dynamic event, not pulling it directly from the table as it sounds you are trying to do but they both contain similar information.  On your block diagram you wire the Enable Arlam and event notifications vi to the Request alarm and event notifications to the read alarms.  Wire the output from the Request A and E Notification to the Register for user events node and then the output of the node to the Dynamic terminal on the event structure.  Each time there is an alarm, it will fire an event.  You then have to check to see if this is a new alarm or one that is on going.  If it is new, then it will feed the clear time, alarm url, alarm area and alarm description into a subvi that then parses the information into an email that is sent via Lotus Notes.

This requires that you have entered the information when you created the variable for the alarm area and alarm description.  I suppose that you could create an email based on the alarm url, but if you already have the alarm desciption and/or area in the variable itself, saves you on some programming as well as allowing the email to be more dynamic since you dont have to change all your constatns in you vi if you change the variable.
Kenny

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(9,909 Views)

Kenny K

Do you have a screen shot of the proper way to do this.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(9,677 Views)

I attached a screenshot of what I was talking about.

The vi that I use to check for a new alarm or not is a modified vi of one that was included with the DSC examples.  Take a look at the alarm and events section of the examples for more info.

Let me know if you get stuck.

Kenny

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(9,677 Views)

Kenny,

Thanks for the help, I am receiving each new message via e-mail.  The last problem is that my logic for determining a new alarm is not working.  I get a e-mail as each event happens, when I get a new alarm it is sent out and when the alarm is acknowledged I get a message.  How did you decipher between new and old alarms?

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(9,402 Views)

If you look at the DSC Alarms Demo.lvproj in the DSc examples, and then open DSC Alarms Event Structure Support.vi.  Looking under the alarm and event notification event and that is helpful to accomplish what you are trying (and what I based my vi off of)

Basically, you are addiing information to an array and then if there is an alarm, check if it is in the array, if it is, dont send an email since it is an old alarm.  If it is not in the list, add it to the list and then send out an email. Once the alarm has been cleared, remove it from the list.

In the example, they were using an array of clusters and then comparing it that way.  I just used the alarm URL and then I was just comparing strings and added in the other information as I needed it.  Both approches work, just depends on what is easier for you.

Kenny

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(9,403 Views)