cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview driver for Newport ESP301.

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi everyone,

I am trying to write a Labview program to control Newport Motion Controller ESP301. I found a file - ESP301_LabVIEW_Drivers_Manual and the page of National Instruments about Newport npesp301; but I cannot find the driver. And I cannot find the driver in Newport website either. Does anyone know where to find this driver? Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 30
(9,473 Views)

If you download the ESP301 Firmware from the Newport site, under Resources, (I tested with the Win 10 version) then install it, the directory to which the driver is installed includes a LabVIEW directory.

This directory contains a project file with an example, and the directory also contains 5 subVIs:

• Get process list.vi
  • LWChooseCorrectInstrument.vi
  • LWConvertArrayIntoDotNetList.vi
  • LSESP301_Close.vi
  • LSESP301_Open.vi

I think this might be what you're looking for?

The Newport site link is here.

GCentral
Message 2 of 30
(9,461 Views)

Hi cbutcher, thanks!

I have downloaded ESP301 GUI_V2.0.0.3 and ESP301-Fireware-Installer-V1.1.1 as your suggested. But when I was trying to install ESP301FirmwareInstaller I got a message saying I need to install .NET Framework version 2.0.502727. I did not find .NET Framework version 2.0.502727 in website of Microsoft. I am wondering where did you find .NET Framework version 2.0.502727? Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 30
(9,392 Views)

The Win10 installer didn't mention it to me - I guess it must be included in Win10?

Does it not allow a newer version? It seems from a quick search that you can't install older versions if you have newer versions (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/5a4x27ek(v=vs.110).aspx) so if it's requiring a specific version you might be in trouble.

Let me know if you still can't make it work with an available version and I'll upload the project here tomorrow (assuming a quick scan of the licence doesn't expressly prohibit it...)

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 30
(9,384 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Max999

Hi cbutcher, thanks!

The problem of installing .NET Framework version 2.0.50727 is resolved, with instruction from https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh506443(v=vs.110).aspx.

Also I contact the Newport and they send me a link containing the related drivers  ftp://download.newport.com/MotionControl/Current/MotionControllers.

I have not finished the Labview program of controlling the stage with PC.  Now, I might need to learn how to use the vi files in the ESP301 driver.  

Message 5 of 30
(9,377 Views)

Fantastic. Thanks also for sharing the link - this can help future ESP301 users who might have the same problem.

If this issue is solved, please mark whichever post(s - you can mark multiple solutions, but I don't know it's necessary here) solved the problem for you as a solution. That way, the thread will be marked solved and it will add a 'Go to Solution' link to the question, helping others find the answer (again, this is a short-ish thread, so scrolling isn't so hard, but the marking in forum is useful). 

Feel free to post future questions about using the driver if you run into problems!

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 30
(9,362 Views)

Hi cbutcher,

I run into problems using the drivers. I have put the ESP301 drivers under C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2015\instr.lib. Also I can drag anyone of vi into the block diagram of my vi. However when I was trying to run the program, I got this message. Do you know what does it mean? Thanks!

11.JPG

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 30
(9,359 Views)

The error message is telling you that a SubVI can't be found. I would guess that if you look in the VI's block diagram you will see a square with a question mark, whilst in dependencies at the bottom of the project explorer you might find a Missing Item.

If you know where the file is, right clicking on it in Dependencies sometimes (if I recall correctly) brings up a window where you can locate the file.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 30
(9,347 Views)

Hi cbutcher thanks! I figure out that I need to load some other vis used in the current vi. 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 30
(9,344 Views)

Hi cbutcher! Do you know what does it mean by the following message? 02.JPG

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 30
(9,343 Views)