LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview asks for RE-Activation on every reboot

Sounds like you are trying to suggest that my license is stolen...I don't find this humorous. This is a real issue, and I can provide all the proof of purchase to those that need such information (that being, NI employees). And as a paying costumer, I expect that they will support their product and customer(s) and provide a resolution to this issue.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 16
(1,178 Views)
Honestly, no. It just sounds to me like genuine confusion with the license key you have been given. I'll stop and leave it to NI.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16
(1,163 Views)

@Aether wrote:

Sounds like you are trying to suggest that my license is stolen..

No, this is definitively not your case. The new Computer ID is the reason. Therefore you have every time "temporary license". You should report this to NI anyway. The reason for new ID may be - for example ntwork card with continously changed MAC address (I don't believe that, but why not), or may be SSD drive or something else in your hardware.

Hint: you can also check your computer ID from command line by calling utility generateComputerId.exe located in "%Program Files%\National Instruments\Shared\License Manager\Bin\" 

Check ID from boot to boot, and if it different, just report this issue to National Instruments support.

Andrey.

Message 13 of 16
(1,158 Views)

Hi Aether,

Andrey is correct.  It seems like your computer may be generating a new ID every time it reboots.  Do you frequently hot swap your HD's?  Do you have multiple network cards?

Another way to check your computer ID is via NI License Manager.  The procedure is as follows:

1) Open up NI License Manager: Start >> All Programs >> National Instruments >> NI License Manager

2) Click on "Display Computer Information" on the toolbar.

Please let us know if that ID changes between boots.

Regards,

Che T.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 16
(1,138 Views)

James, after re-reading my reply, I think I might have come across as angry, which for that, I am sorry (if that was the way you perceived it). I just wanted to make sure that this thread was not going to become a thread of jokes, since this is a serious (losely speaking) issue for me. I appreciate your interest in this matter and responding.

Andrey, yes I realize that it's a matter of how they compute the hardware ID (thats why I was asking about what specifically in hardware they base this value off of). You bring up a good point with the MAC addresses, I am wondering if the Virtual Machine's NIC is causing these issues (I also have a program called Hamachi, which is essentially a VPN of sorts that might be doing something that NI does not like). I have disabled the VM virtual NIC along with Hamachi's interface, but I might have to try completely unistalling these two services. At any rate, I find it weird that this is the first time I have ever encountered something like this and I have several license-based engineering programs (ie Matlab, Mathematica, Xilinx ISE).

Anyways, I looked up NI's technical support phone number last night, and I will be giving them a call later today. I will provide an update to this matter after the call (hopefully sharing the solution/problem).

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 16
(1,137 Views)

So after a phone call and a series of emails with an Applications Engineer at NI, we have fixed the issue. In case, anyone else ever experiences this, I think you might need to go through the same process and call them up for tech support (luckily I was able to use their 30day free trial). Anyway, what he had to do was get my serial number of my primary harddrive and then generate a Computer ID that is bound to that HDD. Seems this matter has finally been solved. Which makes me a happy person. Smiley Happy 

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 16
(1,099 Views)