LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview asks for RE-Activation on every reboot

As the Subject says, my copy of Labview 2010 SP1 Student Edition requests that I reactive EVERY time I reboot. I am not changing anything in my computer setup; literally, if I reboot my computer it will give me a temporary license that lasts 7 days.

The "License Status Details" says the following:

A temporary license has been granted, based on a change in hardware on this computer. Reactivate your products to restore their functionality. This temporary license expires after Thursday, August 25, 2011. (NILM33)

This generic output applies to all the other packages/toolkits that came with my software suite. 

My quesiton is why does this keep happening? What are ALL the things that qualify as hardware changes? And if you have any suggestions for stopping this behavior it would be much appreciated as this is a very annoying thing to have to deal with. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(4,277 Views)

Did you get every time different hardware ID (in License Manager)?

Also try to disable all network card and check how it works. I've got in the past nearby same issue with LapTop in Docking Station.

Andrey.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(4,255 Views)

I know Labview asks a similar question when I installed it on another (temporary) computer, before going back to my own one.

Simply:  I assume there is only 1 computer you are trying to install this on?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(4,253 Views)

(using the same license key)

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(4,251 Views)

Hi Andrey,Yes each time I have a new hardware ID. I will try your suggestion on disabling my network interfaces when I get home later today

James,I am only using Labview on my desktop PC. And this is a brand new license that I got from OnTheHub. They actually were selling licenses that were not associated with what they were advertizing at first. I purchased the 2010 SP1 Student Edition, but the license they gave me was for the non SP1 version. They quickly fixed this and got NI to reissue them with proper licenses. So the SP1 2010 SE license I have is only a few days old.

My computer has A LOT of hardware connected to it. Does Labview generate these computer IDs from all the hardware that is connected to the computer? If so, that has to be the most rediculous thing I have heard a company do...hopefully it is only based on CPU IDs, Mobo, RAM, and maybe the primary HDD as these are the more constant variables to the system. If someone could tell me exactly what they base the computer ID on, I can probably troubleshoot this myself, but without this info...I am pretty much clueless.

Thanks for both of your help,

Aether

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(4,234 Views)

If that does not work, I am wondering if there is someone else out there who got given the same license key and is having exactly the same problem! 🙂

Hope it sorts itself.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(4,228 Views)

Disabling the network interfaces did nothing unfortunately. Also, the idea of someone using my license is pretty far fetched since they would need to be restarting and reactivating almost 90 degree out of phase with me...or something like that.

Anyways does anyone know how I can get in contact with NI? Preferrably a technical contact (phone number would be better than email but either will do) who I could ask them very specific questions. This is going to drive me insane if this doesn't get resolved soon.   =(

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(4,207 Views)

Hi Aether,

Can you provide more details?  The license and activation key is based on hardware.  However, you shouldn't be getting a new computer ID every time you reboot.  What is your environment?  Are you running a virtual machine?

Also, you indicated that you had previously gotten the non-SP1 version of the license number, and it got resolved quickly.  Can you elaborate? (who did you talk to, etc)

Regards,

Che T.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(4,194 Views)

Hi Che T.

I am using Windows 7 64-bit not as a virtual machine, although I do have a VM for linux. Below are my computer details:

CPU: Intel i7 920

GPU: Radeon 5870 x2 CrossfireX

PSU: Enermax Revolution85+ 1050W

SOUND CARD: Creative X-Fi Titanium 

RAM: 6x 2GB Crucial Ballistix

MOBO: ASUS P6T7 Supercomputer

OS DISK: 60GB OCZ Vertex2 SDD

SECONDARY DISK: 300GB Western Digital VelociRaptor

WLAN NIC: D-Link DWA-556 Xtreme N Wireless Network Adapter

I have more than this in the system (mainly hard drives) but I think this is all that should be relevant. My copy of LabView is installed on my secondary drive which is mapped as drive F.

This is the thread I opened at OnTheHub to resolve the original 2010 SP1 license issue:

http://support.onthehub.com/onthehub/topics/invalid_labview_sp1_serial?utm_content=reply_link&utm_me...

Thanks you for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(4,165 Views)

"...Also, the idea of someone using my license is pretty far fetched since they would need to be restarting and reactivating almost 90 degree out of phase with me...or something like that."

Or 50 users with the same license key 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(4,122 Views)