LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview app wont run on fresh reboot unless MAX is started.

Solved!
Go to solution

I am a Labview NOOB. I am the only IT here and started about a year ago and basically got thrown into the "labview" with 0 labview experience.I had to take an xp machine and turn it into a win 7 machine.

Here's some specs: labview 8.2 32bit running on windows 7 32 bit with IO libraries 16. Driving a gpip to usb 34970A data aquisition unit and a temperature compensation oven. Heres the situation. When i restart the PC my "temp_comp.exe"(application that labview consultant wrote) will not run. I get a few errors One as soon as i start the app: "oven Communication Fault" and one when i try to run the oven with shortened testing times and temp:

error 107387202 occurred at visa close in HP34970A close.vi-

34970A_read.vi>measure oven temp.vi->wait for oven to reach temp vi-

a comp loop.vi - a test loop sequence.vi>main temp comp.vi

Possible reasons VISA: hex 0xbfff009e a code library required by VISA could not be located or loaded.

I have reformatted a machine with xp and was able to get this running fine.

So here's the kicker. If i open up MAX and expand the devices and interfaces tree the program works fine and dandy. no errors. I have ran 3 batches in the oven over night with no problems. I figured i would just do an easy work around and have the max program start during startup but i have to manually expand the devices and interfaces tree before it will work.

Any ideas will be super helpfull Cheers!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,494 Views)
There is lots of missing information. What is the make and model of your GPIB controller? You mention I/O library. Is that from Agilent? That implies an Agilent controller. What version of NI-VISA did you install? If using an Agilent controller, did you enable tulip support and make NI-VISA primary?

You should also know that LabVIEW 8.2 is old and not supported on Windows 7. Can you rebuild with a newer version?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,487 Views)

And here is where we check the accuracy of my magic 8-Ball.

That temp chamber is a sigma systems using a c3.5 or c4 controller with out of date firmware (7.5.3? fixed the IFC seen as QU or quit controlling and caused a nasty hang-up... the default is also to raise SRQ when temp set point is stable  Are you servicing the SRQ and is it raised?)  If so, some rather nasty things can happen and the FW needs upgrade.

Beyond that, are you really attempting to install an app built in 8.2 on an XP machine onto a win7 machine?  At the very least you should try to rebuild the exe and installer on a win7 machine that has all the right NI Device Drivers that support Win7 (If any supports both Win7 and LabVIEW 8.20)

As Dennis said, 8.2 is not officially supported on Win7 (but anticdotal evedince suggests it should run).  Its time to find out what maintainence and support you bought along with the application.  If you don't have the source project including the build specs you may need to put on a modernization project.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,480 Views)

Make of GPIB controller is Agilent 82357A installed as secondary Visa Side by Side. Agilent IO library 16. How do i check my NI visa version? (In MAX under software>ni visa> i see a version 4.0). Tulip is enabled. I know that it is not fully supported in windows 7 but we use about 1% of the entire labview program and couldnt justify upgrading to a new version of labview for just this. I would just as fast disconnect the xp machine from the net and use it as a stand-alone workstation. Program runs fine after MAX is started and Devices tree is expanded. So i feel there is no issues with windows 7 as far as i can see, accept for  should i say "retaining the gpib visa initialization" after reboot.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,478 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Lysergic
Well, VISA 4.0 isn't supported on Windows 7 either.

From my point of view, the upgrade to Windows 7 is the issue since your program and driver are obsolete and not supported. I don't know what to suggest besides rolling back to xp or upgrading the app and drivers.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,471 Views)

OK, thanks for the confirmation guys. Now i can at least move on and just have the user expand the tree which isnt hard and just one more step.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,467 Views)

It never ceases to amaze me what managers think is possible.  It would be difficult for even an experienced LabVIEW programmer to port a LabVIEW app from XP to Windows 7 using a version of LabVIEW not supported on the operating system.  Tell them you'll see them in a few months.

I ran into an issue once where a vendor's Win7 dll had different default settings than the priginal and we couldn't figure out why we couldn't communicate with the I/O card.  Seems that they inverted the address bits as default.  Of course, there was no documantation on the change - unless you count the source code itself.

It was an intentional change which would make sense if you were someone who bought a new card and never used the old dll before.  But guess what?  The card was already obsolte/unsupported, so there AREN'T GOING TO BE ANY NEW USERS!

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 7 of 9
(2,450 Views)

@Lysergic wrote:

OK, thanks for the confirmation guys. Now i can at least move on and just have the user expand the tree which isnt hard and just one more step.

This disturbs me. ( reallly why not REQUIRE a 2x86 machine and a Win 3.1 OS?)  Oh,  hold it ..........you cannot find one on e-bay!)

"I can't run MS Office 2010 on Win 3.1"does not seem to bother people. 

My "Punch cards" cannot be read by my DVD drive"  does not bug many people either....

What is it about LabVEW that makes people think that thirty years is "contemporary?"   WTF dude?

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,428 Views)

Oh yeah, anecdotally, at the beginning of the project, I laid outthe pitfalls of updating the operating system to Win7 while leaving the code base at LabVIEW 7.1.  (It seemed that it might be okay, given that I did mega-research on this forum and found we weren't using any incompatible drivers and we could find a version of VISA that could bridge the gap.)  But I recommended leaving the OS at XP to avoid other issues that could be so subtle that it could take us months to figure out.  Plus, we could get NI support on an XP/LV 7.1 combo.

After months of trying to figure out subtle stuff that we were seeing, they decided to downgrade the Windows licenses to XP and all those subtle issues went away.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,414 Views)