From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview Vi to get size of disk space available

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a function that I run on test machines that polls the Data folder(s) where I'm writing the data to and removes the oldest files (of optional extension type for filtering) until the folder size is below a certain size (or below a certain size for that file type).
Polls the folder(s) every X seconds and sits there running in the background making sure the HDD never gets full.

- very useful for soak tests of systems producing large data sets, (or cleaning up a nearly full HDD).

I'll leave it as an exercise to you to work out how I've done it 😉

James

CLD; LabVIEW since 8.0, Currently have LabVIEW 2015 SP1, 2018SP1 & 2020 installed
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 14
(446 Views)

Hi Lamar,

@LamarDavisss wrote:

Hey mate! Do you have this VI with you. If yes can you please post it here?

You learned how to check available disk space for all your drives so far.

Now you want to know how to determine the creation date of files (aka their age) to be able to delete oldest files?

What have you tried so far?

After checking the file functions for that GetVolumeInfo you should know where to look for other file functions (like File/DirInfo or GetFileSize), don't you think?

@LamarDavisss wrote:

We do not have full development version of labview accessible to us. We get hardly 1 hr to use labview in our institute.

You will learn LabVIEW much better by trying on your own instead of asking in (very) old threads about VIs never posted...

Which LabVIEW version (year, bitness, edition) do you have access to?

Did you notice those "Training resources" offered at the top of the LabVIEW board? That should be the next step after your 1hr introduction at your institute!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 14
(433 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author LamarDavisss

@LamarDavisss wrote:

Hey mate! Do you have this VI with you. If yes can you please post it here?

Sure.

Note that the image is a snippet. You can, when done correctly, download it and drop it on a diagram to get the code. The forum usually shows a resized (and snippet removed) image though. See Solved: Re: How do I get a snippet from the board into my block diagram? - NI Community

Anyway, I saved the VI back to LV13, and attached it.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 14
(409 Views)

wow

Message 14 of 14
(382 Views)