LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview RT dualboot with Windows 7 (Boot magic doesn't work)

I'm trying to setup a desktop RT controller with both Labview RT and Windows 7. I can't seem to get the two on one bootloader screen. I have found that I need to boot into the RT partion either through the ready made USB in max external USB (EFI) or set as active (which causes windows to no longer be bootable). Much thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,376 Views)

Why not just boot directly off the partition?  There are 2 rules for working with LabVIEW Real-Time from a partition:

1.  On IDE, you can only use the primary drive.  It doesn't always work if you're using a primary slave or a secondary drive or secondary slave.  On SATA, use SATA0 for best compatibility.

2.  It's best if the FAT32 partition you create for RT is located within the first 2GB of the disk.  Actually, it's best if you limit your FAT32 partition to 1GB in size (FAT32 degrades in performance and reliability the bigger you make the partition) and make the FAT32 partition start at the beginning of the drive.  Once you format the FAT32 partition with the USB key, you can boot off it.  Keeping the partition within the first 2GB of the disk is strictly for the 16-bit boot loader, it cannot address beyond 2GB so if your files could end up 4GB into the disk you've got problems.

The tool I like using is System Commander for dual-booting, the benefit is being able to hide boot partitions from OS's that don't need them (if you want to hide one OS from the other).  I'd imagine you can use other boot systems the same way.

-Danny

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,365 Views)