From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview, NI Daq mx and harware help

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi people

Seems the NI 9210 for temperature it is a newer equipement.

What was the older version of this model? The Ni 9211?

As I could not take a solution for the NI 9210 can somebody help me:

- if it is easy to send back to NI this model, sell to someone here in forum

- if it is easy to create a dedicated library or driver to work in LAbview2013?

I never expected that for acquiring a simple temperature data the process was so difficult with NI equipement.

Best regards and thanks in advance for help

cpalka

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 20
(1,241 Views)

Measuring temperature with NI hardware is about as easy as it gets. I would recommend that in the future that if you are not familiar with NI hardware you should give them a call. Tell them what you are trying to do and tell them what you already have.

List should include:

PC specs

Windows version

LabVIEW version

Any hardware you plan to use

Any sensors that you have purchased

What you want to do

How fast you need to read

etc...

They will point you in the right direction for the hardware that will work with the version of LabVIEW you have as well as any hardware you have.

Your frustration is because you did not know what you are doing and not because NI hardware is hard to use.

Understanding how to use this equipment properly comes with time, training or asking an expert.

Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 20
(1,214 Views)

Hi Tim

Thanks for the message, I am sorry but I could not agree with You in some points:

1 - About "... you should give them a call" where, here in Portugal?

2 - "Your frustration is because you did not know what you are doing and not because NI hardware is hard to use."  - Thanks, but I do not have enough knowledge to evaluate You  🙂

3- Why NI stops support in older products when it can work together with new ones? Why hardware don't has each one the specific driver (I have the ni 9233, NI USB 9162 chassi and NI 9237 and now with the new  NI cDAQ 9174 and NI 9210 seems I can't work with all at same time (ni 9233, ni 9237 and ni 9210, why????)

Best regards

cpalka

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 20
(1,208 Views)

@cpalka wrote:

Hi Tim

Thanks for the message, I am sorry but I could not agree with You in some points:

1 - About "... you should give them a call" where, here in Portugal?

2 - "Your frustration is because you did not know what you are doing and not because NI hardware is hard to use."  - Thanks, but I do not have enough knowledge to evaluate You  🙂

3- Why NI stops support in older products when it can work together with new ones? Why hardware don't has each one the specific driver (I have the ni 9233, NI USB 9162 chassi and NI 9237 and now with the new  NI cDAQ 9174 and NI 9210 seems I can't work with all at same time (ni 9233, ni 9237 and ni 9210, why????)

Best regards

cpalka

Here are the numbers for support in Portugal.

Portugal 210 311 210

+351 210 311 210

Yes there is support in Portugal.

Second I was not evaluating you I was offering suggestions on how to keep from getting yourself into the same situation the next time. You did not talk to your professor to find out what you should be doing, You chose to do your own thing and got yourself into a hard place because what you did would not work. then you blame NI hardware because you made bad choices. Based on what you have done here I would have offered that same suggestions for someone that worked for me to prevent this from happening again in the future.

If you want to come here and ask for help then lash out at someone when they try to help you with your problems because of the bad choices that you made. That is a poor choice on your part. I could have a system up and running measuring temperature in about ten minutes with NI hardware.

You know I have been doing this for over 20years now and I still ask NI about the new hardware and compatibility with my existing systems.

Now as far as support for old systems go. I am sure that you are not using an IBM consultant computer running Windows 3.1. Companies quit supporting older devices because it is expensive to keep them around. They provide better faster solutions and they are usually going to make your life easier in the process.

Again your problem here was that you did not do your homework before you started. You did not find out what you had available to you from the school (LabVIEW version) before you started down the path you went do. When you ran into trouble because of this poor planing you blamed everything else.

I do have enough information to evaluate you for this instance.

Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 20
(1,177 Views)

Hi Tim

As an expert, what board I suppose to buy to measure thermocouples to work in Labview2013 and together with or not with other existing equipement in our lab, (Ni9233 and NI9237)?

Should be Ni 9211???

I never thought that the NI Daq mx left support in some older boards.

And now I will not discouss anymore the board acquisition, now I need a solution for that.

Best regards

cpalka

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 20
(1,167 Views)

OK you still have a few options here that can work with your older hardware.

First what type of thermocouple are you measuring with? (T, J, K etc...)

I would suggest buying a signal conditioner that takes a thermocouple input and give a +/- 5vdc output. Using this intermediate device would allow you to use and AI that you have available. Then you could scale the input for display and data recording.

NI 9237 is for strain. This would not be a good board for measuring the temperature.

NI 9233 is for pezio-electric devices. This would also not be a good choice for temperature.

What money do you have available?

Do you have access to any other devices other than the ones that you have provided?

Again, use the numbers for support that I provided and give NI a call. Tell them what you have and they will help you find a solution. Go to the website and open a support ticket. You do have options for help through NI.

Tim

Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 20
(1,156 Views)

Hi Tim

The thermocouples are type K.

My problem is not reading data from Thermocouples, I have other data acquisition hardware from other manufactures.

for many years I want to get an hardware to work only with Labview and not other softwares, because with labviewe I build mine applications.

The main problem is to save the money I wast byuing the NI 9210. So I would like to get some alternative to put this working.

The curious was at the first day I connect to my desktop it was not recognised, I install the ni daq mx 19 with LB2013 and it worked.

CPalka

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 20
(1,147 Views)

You got lucky (unlucky) the first time. Looking at the documents that the other supplied ver 19 NI Max is not compatible with LabVIEW 2013.

You can make a Nation Instruments system that would do everything for you. You can not have equipment that is 15 years old or more and expect it to work with new stuff. Sometimes you will find old equipment that will stretch back that far but not always. You are also not going to get the new hardware using LabVIEW 2013. I guess it is time to do a cost value analysis. What do you get if you upgrade to LabVIEW 2019 and use the new equipment or stick with what you have and do it the way you have been doing things. I realize you are in a college environment. Not sure if NI will help you with that.

Again call National Instruments to see what options you have available. The people on here most likely do not work for National Instruments. We help when we can. I work for a different company. All I can do is offer advice. Call NI and get some help to get you to an endpoint.

Tim

Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 20
(1,131 Views)

Dear all

Today I remember to test the ni 9210 with Signal Express 2013 and it works!

Why this Signal express has the task assistant to configure the channels and Labview 2013 does not appear the DAQ assistant

Please see the pictures.

CPalka

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 20
(1,110 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author cpalka

Dear All

My solution

LB2013

NI DAQMx 16.1