From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview Linux and USB DAQ - howto?

I want to build a small series of prototype instruments which use a DAQ to continuously process the incoming measurement data for display and storage.

I would like to build the system around Labview for Linux, so that I can later use the app builder to distribute a Labview executable, and so that I can simply clone my linux boxes instead of dealing with individual Windows installations and activations.

I'm ready to spend some money on this (such as on a Labview for Linux development system, for neccessary hardware, etc.), and I think I could probably get this to work with a PCI based NI DAQ, such as the PCI-6251 or similar, for which NI provides Linux drivers.

However, what I really want is to find a similar DAQ which I can use over USB - in Linux! Unfortunately, the nearest equivalent DAQ, the NI USB-6251, does not have any drivers for Linux.

DAQ over USB is pretty much a requirement in the longer run, because the bulky external data cables for the PCI(e) DAQ cards need to disappear. What should I do? Has anyone been successful at using a NI USB-6251 or similar with Labview for Linux?

If not, does anyone know of another brand (not NI) USB DAQ with similar specs which would presumably be compatible with Labview for Linux? My rationale is that Labview for Linux will be o.k. for the intermediate term, with Linux presumably being a stable and clone-friendly implementation, but Labview for Windows is not. If I can't get a USB DAQ working under Labview for Linux, then I'll probably set my sights on an embedded platform (not Labview, not NI) much sooner.

One really good link for DAQ under Linux is http://www.comedi.org, but unfortunately it also does not list any USB DAQs as Linux compatible - or am I mistaken?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,873 Views)

O.k., I found the following useful list of NI hardware supported under Labview for Linux:

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/6913

I need a USB DAQ which is compatible with Linux and which has (at a minimum) the specs of the externally powered USB-6251, and ideally the specs of the USB-6259 or higher:

- Ai with 16 bit or higher, 16-32 SE inputs, and at least 500 kS/s aggregate sample rate

- Ao with at least 2 channels, ideally 4

- 24 DIO channels

The closest match for a USB DAQ for Linux is the USB-powered USB-6211/6215/6218:

- Ai with 16 bits, 32 SE channels, 250 kS/s aggregate rate

- Ao with 2 channels

- 4 DI, 4 DO

I think that one might be worth to try out, even though the sample rate is too low for my application. Maybe if I bundle two of these it might work ...? However, I really hope that the higher performing USB-6251/6259/6281/6289 OEM series, or at least the USB-6216, will also be compatible with Labview for Linux soon. Please notify me when this happens. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,866 Views)