LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview LINX and NI VISA 14

I'm trying to run the simple Labview LINX example at the NI companion site, https://www.labviewmakerhub.com/doku.php?id=learn:tutorials:libraries:linx:sparkfun_inventors_kit:se...

I have Labview 2018 64bit on Windows, LINX (via VIPM), and an Arduino UNO connected via USB.  When I try to upload firmware to the Arduino Uno, the menu says "success" but the Arduino is then unresponsive in the button push demo.  Related, the "refresh" button in the Firmware Uploader does not list any Arduino as connected to a USB port and I have to manually type in COM11).  

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

The Labview LINX/Makerhub instructions suggest that NI VISA 14 should be installed, but this download link (from Makerhub) seems to be broken? http://ftp.ni.com/support/softlib/visa/NI-VISA/14.0/Windows/NIVISA1400full.exe

So:

1. "NI VISA 14" - is this what I should be installing to support LINX?  Is the broken/stalled download link a known problem?

2. In Labview LINX, what should I be doing (or what error am I making) if the Arduino/LINX resource hardware doesn't show up in the list of available Serial/COM ports?  (All I see is ASRL1:)

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,126 Views)

Update, installing NI VISA 18.5 partially resolved the error.  The Arduino at COM11 now shows up. Demo program still doesn't work though...

image.png

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,118 Views)

Here's a new one.  The LED on Pin 13 of the Arduino I was using seems to be burned out.  Grabbed a different board and now everything works.

Lessons:

1. If you want to use LINX, you need to download NI VISA (latest version 18.5 seems to work).  NI-VISA 14 is probably unavailable (broken link) because its so old?

2. Make sure your Arduino has a working LED for Pin 13.

3. Also, maybe make sure you have the Arduino compiler, installed, not just the Arduino App.  The App installs in a non-standard place that the LINX Firmware Wizard can't find.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,113 Views)

Hi nmoorewsu,

You are correct about NI VISA. Only the latest versions are publicly to download.

Thank you for sharing your lessons learned!

Thanks,

Noah B. 

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

http://www.ni.com/support

Noah B.
Technical Support Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,079 Views)

@nmoorewsu wrote: 

Lessons:

1. If you want to use LINX, you need to download NI VISA (latest version 18.5 seems to work).  NI-VISA 14 is probably unavailable (broken link) because its so old?

2. Make sure your Arduino has a working LED for Pin 13.

3. Also, maybe make sure you have the Arduino compiler, installed, not just the Arduino App.  The App installs in a non-standard place that the LINX Firmware Wizard can't find.

To clarify "Arduino compiler, installed, not just the Arduino App", means you need the Arduino IDE that uses the Windows installer not Arduino IDE in the Windows store.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,073 Views)

image.png

Yes, Windows Installer, not Windows App.  Not sure this is a high-stakes difference, but the Windows App is NOT in the normal "ProgramFiles (x86)/Arduino" folder - so far as I can tell.

Nathan

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,069 Views)