From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview I2C Problem

I have a NI USB-8452 I2C board which is connect to a device with x24C04 chip fitted.  It's address is hard wired to 0xA0.

I have used NI I2C library to attempt to read from the device, but all I get back is an array full of 0xFF.

The LabVIEW is across a couple of VI's but is shown below.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong? I am a bit new to I2C stuff!

Christopher Povey

Principle Test Systems Engineer for BAE Systems.
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,619 Views)

I've not used the NI I2C devices before so I can't really see anything glaringly obvious with the code, but do you have an I2C pullup resistor located somewhere else in your circuit/wiring? As per the I2C standard you need to have pullup resistors located somewhere on SCL and SDA and you have a 'false' wired to use the ones internal on the NI I2C device, so I'm assuming you have them located elsewhere?

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,606 Views)

@Sam_Sharp wrote:

I've not used the NI I2C devices before so I can't really see anything glaringly obvious with the code, but do you have an I2C pullup resistor located somewhere else in your circuit/wiring? As per the I2C standard you need to have pullup resistors located somewhere on SCL and SDA and you have a 'false' wired to use the ones internal on the NI I2C device, so I'm assuming you have them located elsewhere?

Yes. There is a pull up resistor at the device end (where the X24C04 is located). Initially I had the NI board pullup on as well and the I2C VI just error then.

Christopher Povey

Principle Test Systems Engineer for BAE Systems.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,559 Views)