From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview Community 2020 Edition Activation

Solved!
Go to solution

Somewhere it maybe mentioned, but for certain, I would have saved a few hours if it was clearly written in the community edition page, that we must be logged into our account when downloading and installing. Additionally it could be mentioned that this is to allow the NI License Manager to automatically include and update for the community edition, no serial number needed, which would remove our experience from the past clouding the way into the future 🙂  Thanks for this thread which made the install possible!

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 123
(3,431 Views)

I didn't think you could download something unless you were logged in!

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 123
(3,420 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

I think what this means is that you can't download it on one account, then try to activate it on a different one.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 23 of 123
(3,414 Views)

@billko wrote:

@RavensFan wrote:

I think what this means is that you can't download it on one account, then try to activate it on a different one.

That is true.  But why would someone have more than one NI account?  Particularly a new user just starting out with the community edition.

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 123
(3,411 Views)

I have (had? Might have?) 3 different NI accounts. I could see problems with existing account holders if they don't pay attention ... like down loading CE "at work" then taking it home and trying to install it. (IE work vs home account)

---------------------------------------------
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD)
There are two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
0 Kudos
Message 25 of 123
(3,405 Views)

When I attempt to use the recomendation to find a serial number for the comunnity edition, it states no serial number. 

is there another way to generate an activation code for offline? my machine that i am tryign to install on cannot connect to the internet. I installed by burning the download to a disc. 

thank you. 

ChiefOfRocketSurgery_0-1589298343938.png

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 123
(3,335 Views)

Hi ChiefOfRocketSurgery, 

At this time, you must be connected to the internet to activate LabVIEW Community Edition. We are working on improvements to allow for offline activation in the future, but it isn't available with this release. 

Thanks,

Mackenzie

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 123
(3,327 Views)

I just installed LV2020CE on my shop/lab computer in a remote building that has no internet connection ... after downloading the iso file to my main computer while logged onto my NIUA. LV2020CE is listed on My Products page with no serial number showing.

I now have the same problem ... no way to activate LV2020CE installed on a pc with no internet connection.

The NI License Manager activation screen on the target pc tells me I can get an activation code at ni.com/activate using the Computer ID showing onscreen ... but this is not possible without a serial number, which does not exist for LC2020CE.

Unless NI fixes this issue to allow activation without a serial number for a different pc without internet access, then my only option is to get temporary internet access for the target pc so I can log onto my NIUA from the computer I want to activate. My WiFi does not reach the shop building, but maybe I can use my phone data link as a hotspot to get temporary access to ni.com ... or haul the desktop pc to a location with internet service.

I do not expect NI to fix this issue anytime soon, so I will enable temporary internet access one way or another from the target pc and get LV2020CE activated.

No additional response from NI is needed or expected. The other post stated that LC2020CE MUST be activated with logon to NIUA from the target pc ... with no other options possible for the time being.

0 Kudos
Message 28 of 123
(3,280 Views)

@Contract-EE wrote:

I just installed LV2020CE on my shop/lab computer in a remote building that has no internet connection ... after downloading the iso file to my main computer while logged onto my NIUA. LV2020CE is listed on My Products page with no serial number showing.

I now have the same problem ... no way to activate LV2020CE installed on a pc with no internet connection.

The NI License Manager activation screen on the target pc tells me I can get an activation code at ni.com/activate using the Computer ID showing onscreen ... but this is not possible without a serial number, which does not exist for LC2020CE.

Unless NI fixes this issue to allow activation without a serial number for a different pc without internet access, then my only option is to get temporary internet access for the target pc so I can log onto my NIUA from the computer I want to activate. My WiFi does not reach the shop building, but maybe I can use my phone data link as a hotspot to get temporary access to ni.com ... or haul the desktop pc to a location with internet service.

I do not expect NI to fix this issue anytime soon, so I will enable temporary internet access one way or another from the target pc and get LV2020CE activated.

No additional response from NI is needed or expected. The other post stated that LC2020CE MUST be activated with logon to NIUA from the target pc ... with no other options possible for the time being.

Wish I could help you.  😞

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 29 of 123
(3,277 Views)

I successfully activated LV2020CE on a non-internet-connected desktop pc using the following simple procedure:

Tethering Android

Tethering means sharing the Internet connection of an Internet-capable mobile phone with other devices. ... Android phones are already equipped to provide this

functionality. Simply connect the USB cable and go to Settings -> Wireless settings -> Tethering -> Tethering USB.

After tethering to my phone, I was able to logon to my NIUA directly from NI License Manager on the target pc and successfully activate. (No need to use an internet browser.) I think it's a requirement that you previously downloaded the LC2020CE iso file while logged onto your NIUA to get LC2020CE to show up on your My Products listing.

I presume the same procedure will work for LVNXGCE ... which I also intend to install and activate (iso file already downloaded).

You must connect the USB cable to your phone first, otherwise the Tethering USB switch is greyed out. I think I recall seeing a note that this USB Tether does not work from a Mac target. No idea if/how it works with iPhones.

0 Kudos
Message 30 of 123
(3,257 Views)