LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview Behavior change 2016->2022; calling vi by reference within executable

When upgrading my code from labview 2016 to 2022, I noticed that calls that I had to obtain the title of the main vi no longer worked when built into an executable.

After some poking around, I noticed that the issue was in obtaining the reference to the main vi from within the executable.

Historic code used the path to the main exe/vi dependent on the executable or development environment. Apparently in labview 2016, passing in the path to the executable would return a reference to the starting vi of that executable. But this no longer works in 2022 - you must append the name of the main vi when in the executable environment.

I no longer have access to the 2016 version of the dev environment. Can anyone help me confirm this behavior change? 

Anyone know why this change occurred if it's true?

the 2022 version and back saved 2016 versions are attached below.

Regards

Using Labview 2022, Windows 10
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(644 Views)

@AllisonSCJ wrote:

When upgrading my code from labview 2016 to 2022, I noticed that calls that I had to obtain the title of the main vi no longer worked when built into an executable.

After some poking around, I noticed that the issue was in obtaining the reference to the main vi from within the executable.

Historic code used the path to the main exe/vi dependent on the executable or development environment. Apparently in labview 2016, passing in the path to the executable would return a reference to the starting vi of that executable. But this no longer works in 2022 - you must append the name of the main vi when in the executable environment.

I no longer have access to the 2016 version of the dev environment. Can anyone help me confirm this behavior change? 

Anyone know why this change occurred if it's true?

the 2022 version and back saved 2016 versions are attached below.

Regards

I can't imagine NI making a change that would break everyone's code like that.  Do you think it's strange that you are the only one reporting this behavior?  On the other hand, the version is still pretty new, so it is possible that it is a bug of some sort, but I seriously doubt they would make such a backbreaking change, especially with no note of it in the "changes" documentation on purpose.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(628 Views)