From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview Arduino Serial Communication

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to get arduino to receive a message from labview and then run a function within arduino from this message. I am using the serial event architecture. Arduino function beginFunction() successfully sends a message to labview, but labview does not seem to send a message back. My arduino code is as follows:

void loop()
{
if(start==true)
{
beginFunction();
}
if(inputString.equals("move"))
{
moveUntilPos();
}
if(inputString.equals("scan"))
{
scan();
}
}
void serialEvent()
{
while (Serial.available())
{
char inChar = (char)Serial.read();
if (inChar != '\n') {
inputString += inChar;
}
if (inChar == '\n') {
stringComplete = true;
}
}
}

my labview file is attached.

It does not seem to register the message in arduino, does anyone know why?

Thanks,

Sam.

Message 1 of 3
(3,215 Views)

my vi does not send serial messages, can anyone see why? The serial write vi is in the consumer loop

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,140 Views)

1. Go look at the advice I already gave you again (https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Indicators-change-too-fast/m-p/3674363#M1032820).  You should especially look at the example I gave you.

2. No need to initialize the same port twice.

3. You need to tell the VISA Read to read MORE bytes than your message.  I like to use 50.

4. Why do you have a 5 second wait in your write loop before sending a response?

5. For where you are sending the message, change your message to be in '\ Codes' mode.  You are not sending the Line Feed (0xA, \n).  You are actually sending a '\' and an 'n'.  When you switch to '\ Codes', then you will see "\\n".  "\\" is the code for a single '\'.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,123 Views)