LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview 8.6 shutting down with Visual C++ Runtime Error

I have encountered this problem ever since updating to 8.6, although it may have occasionally happened with 8.2 (I don't remember). The problem seems to revolve around bringing large data sets into memory, but is mostly random.

Labview will basically crash and a window pops up saying Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Error, this application (whatever VI I am running) has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

It was slightly aggravating, but random and very intermittent, so I have lived with it. Now I am trying to deploy a small executable based on the TDMS File Viewer that comes with LV, and when I run the executable on another machine it is doing the same thing. It has crashed once while running the .vi on my machine and a handful of times while running it on the non Labview machine. The commonality I have seen between crashes is that it happens when leaving the program running but not doing anything with it, and then coming back to it and changing channels that I want to view.

This is basically the .tdms viewer that I have just tweaked the code on, and it occurs while looking at .tdms files that are around .5 GB.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,314 Views)

This may be due to a programmatic issue with the file reference being passed to the TDMS Read/Write functions when a large TDMS file is opened. This knowledgebase article desribes this behavior: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/25252B31D7AC221D8625754B00743D3B?OpenDocument .

You could try placing a time delay after the TDMS file/channel is chosen in your VI, to account for any timing issues when a large TDMS file is involved. I am not sure what else could be causing this behavior. A screenshot of the block diagram of the smaller VI that is causing this error may give us a better insight into your issue.

Vivek Nath
National Instruments
Applications Engineer

Machine Vision
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,293 Views)