From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview 8.5 error on save: "Cannot load help information of [filename]."

Hi all,

I was working on a VI in Labview 8.5 when the program (Labview) crashed. When I relaunched Labview it asked me if I wanted to recover the VI I was working on, I said yes and the recovered VI runs fine, but I cannot save it. When I try to Save or Save As I receive the following error message: "Cannot load help information of [Filename]" and my only option is "Cancel Save". If I click "Cancel Save" Labview returns a "File not Found error". Until the recovery, I could and did save the file with no problems. It now seems that I am locked out of the file.

I have a backup, but it is does not contain the 2-3 hours of work I put in before the crash. Does anyone have a work-around, or know the source of this error? This is the second time I have seen it on a recovered file (the first time I had a fresh backup, so it wasn't a big issue).

Here is a dump of the "Referencing files in the project or its dependencies" from the Save As dialog:

[Project Name].lvproj
replay2-offsets.vi:Instance:6
replay2-offsets.vi:Instance:5
replay2-offsets.vi:Instance:3
replay2-offsets.vi:Instance:2
replay2-offsets.vi:Instance:4
replay2-offsets.vi:Instance:1
replay2-offsets.vi:Instance:0

Thank you,
Tim
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 23
(11,816 Views)
I'm having the same problem. I came here to see if there was any information about this problem, and found the previous message. Lucky for me, I'm not going too lose more than about 15 minutes of work.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 23
(11,799 Views)
Brent,

After I posted this, I found this thread: http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&thread.id=334074 about a corrupted project file, the info in there did not help me, but maybe it will help you.

Take care,
Tim
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 23
(11,796 Views)

Does anyone know if there is a way to clone a vi from memory to disk? That would be a good work around for me, or anything else you might suggest. It's not a big deal, as long as the computer doesn't crash before I finish this specialized project, I would just like to save my new work. I have no idea what the "help file" refers to, i've tried linking a help file to the vi and then saving but it still doesn't work... What a strange problem.

-Tim

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 23
(11,769 Views)
Hi Tim,

One relatively simple but effective method to recover data from a corrupted VI is to "cut and paste" your block diagram to a fresh new VI. I have used this method many times in the past, and it has worked well. Just select your whole block diagram, choose copy from the edit menu, and then choose paste from the edit menu in your new VI.
Asa Kirby
CompactRIO Product Marketing Manager
(11,749 Views)
Kirby-

Thanks for the tip, this is what I ultimately did, but the "Select All" doesn't quite select all, so it was a bit tedious.

-Tim
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 23
(11,729 Views)

I ran into this error too.  It must be a corrupted VI because I couldn't Select All and copy and paste into a new VI, which usually works for most VI corruption.  It wasn't copy any structures, only Ctrl/Indicators.  It is too bad I can't save the VI because I don't know how NI is going to reproduce this issue and get to the bottom of it because we can't send them the corrupted VIs.

I lost about 2 hours of work!

Joji
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 23
(11,573 Views)

I just ran into this in LV8.6.1 while working on a FPGA VI. Not a lot of work lost, but annoying. As the others said, I can not copy and paste the block diagram. Select All appears to select everything, but pasting only actual pastes one of the three loops. Other attemps to copy the missing loops seem to fail. I think I will just have to recreate them.

This may or may not be relavent, but the two loops that I am failing to copy are ones that I converted from Timed Loops with Sequences to a Timed Sequence Structure to a Flat Sequence Structure.

chris

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 23
(11,358 Views)

hummph. I just got bit by this again, but this time I'm running LV2009f2. This time, it's on a vi targetting a cRIO host. Same situation, I can not copy one of the loops. I really don't know what happened to corrupt the vi, but one of things I did recently was drag an FPGA interface invoke node from a vi open in one project over to the current vi in another project (just to save me the trouble of dropping the nodes from the palette).

chris

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 23
(10,999 Views)

Hi all,

I just wanted to update this post.  There is a proposed workaround that one customer found when running into this problem.  Try manually moving the recovery VI's from their recovery location, and then opening and saving them.  My recovery files save to this location: C:\Documents and Settings\mchance\My Documents\LabVIEW Data\LVAutoSave

Hope this helps,
Marti C
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
NI Medical
Message 10 of 23
(10,843 Views)