LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview 8.5 crashes with .net constructor node on vista

I have windows vista home premium SP1 with labview 8.5 (trial version)
Any vi with a .net contructor node crashes Labview just by opening them. And any blank VI to which I place a .net constructor node crashes Labview as well, as soon as It is placed on the block diagram.
I havent seen this topic anywhere so Im afraid I might be the only one with it.

Before that, I already had problems with Labview 8.2.1 not recognizing vista's .net framework on this same computer and so, I wasnt able to use the .net framework either.. hence why I installed the trial version of Labview 8.5, hoping that it would solve this problem.. but it just got worse

Everything works fine on XP computers though..

Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,442 Views)
24h later, LV8.5 is still crashing and LV8.2.1 still doesnt recognize the .net framework on vista. Any help/explanation would be greatly appreciated.
thank you very much.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,409 Views)

Hello Samuel.

With Vista, your application might be attempting to do something that requires administrative access. Either the application is attempting to write to a restricted area of the file system or registry system, or the application makes a call to an external process which requires admin access.
This KB should solve your problem.

Best Regards.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,392 Views)
Thanks for getting back to me. Unfortunately, running labview as administrator didnt change anything. There is only 1 account on my laptop and I already have the administrator rights on it.

I've installed Labview 8.6 evaluation to see if it would help, but it didnt: I am still getting "Labview 8.6/5 Development System has stopped working" (well.. it crashes) every time I try to place a "Constructor Node", ".Net Object To Variant", or "To .Net Object." vi on the block Diagram (even on a blank one with nothing else)

There is no such error with any of the other vi from "connectivity": ActiveX, Windows registry access, executable, etc.. all work fine.

Again, this must have something to do with the fact that with Labview 8.2.1, I couldnt access the .Net either, as 8.2.1 was telling me that I  needed to install .net framework 1.1.. on vista, which is not feasible and useless anyway.

If it can help, Im using an ACER laptop Aspire 5920. I installed Labview 8.5 on another laptop ACER Aspire 5920 (again with windows vista Home premium SP1) and the same problem occured. I unfortunately dont have access to another computer with vista installed, so could the problem be ACER? or home premium?

I am looking forward to hear from you soon.
Regards,
Samuel.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,379 Views)

Hello Samuel.

Could you attach a part of your code which reproduce your problem? I will try it and I let you know what I find out.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,371 Views)
I too got problem with Labview 8.2.1 not recognizing the .net framework on vista

Message Edited by Woss on 08-05-2008 06:46 AM
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,354 Views)
Ok, just found out what was making Labview 8.5/6 crash (by luck I confess ;)) but it could be of interest for Labview's developpers to know that there might be an annoying bug that they might not be aware of, in their vista compatible version of labview.

Romain, if you want to recreate this bug, go to Control Panel (classic view) > Regional and language Options > Formats; and choose "Turkish (Turkey)" (I didnt check for other languages). Then open a blank vi and drag-drop a "Constructor Node", ".Net Object To Variant", or "To .Net Object." vi into the block diagram; or alternatively, open any Labview example (such as calculator.vi) that contains any of those vi. That's all.. Im now using "English (UK)" and there is no more problem.

By searching for "regional and language Options" in the search of the NI website, I only found this 2yo KB: Windows Regional Settings Can Cause LabVIEW 8.0 to Acquire Bad Images, and the same way, there is a difference in the use of "." instead of "," between Turkish and English format.

Btw, any Labview discount for bug finders? just wondering 🙂

Merci pour ton aide Romain.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,349 Views)

3 years later, still the same pb with labview 2010 sp1 and win7. Are there any improvement concerning this issue?

I need my computer in my local language settings so that I dont get bothered with ",", ";" or "." when opening .csv files, dealing with numbers, time, etc... But I need to change those settings to english to be able to use .net.

Any workaround so that I can use .net constructor with my local settings?

Best Regards,

Tom.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,790 Views)

Hey Woss,

Unfortunately, local languages are a bit tricky. Because Germany or France or the US or Turkey will use a coma in a different way than a dot, there can be some unexpected behaviour at some point in your programmation process. There's not much to do about it, and it's not an issue related to National Instruments or LabVIEW but to Windows and the way countries use the delimiters.

If you have any further question, don't hesitate 😉

Eric. 

Eric M. - Senior Software Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Architect - Certified LabVIEW Embedded Systems Developer - Certified LabWindows™/CVI Developer
Neosoft Technologies inc.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,781 Views)