LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview 7.1 stalls operating overnight

I have a inherited application written in version of Labview 7.1. It has a number of virtual com ports and a ethernet communications, (no analog or digital I/O hardware), except through the serial ports.

After building the executable, it is checked  by running a burn-in test overnight. The system tends to hang while running overnight, but can easily be cleared, just by moving or activating the mouse. If  a KVM switch is used with the mouse, it tends to keep the mouse "active", and avoids the problem.  I'm looking for a fix to avoid the KVM switch.

I've search the forum and I did find reference to an issue with property nodes in a loop causing a slowdown of operations, but not like the above described issue. I'm also looking for the Labview 8.x list of bug fixes to see if this issue is listedor perhaps someone recalls an issue of this type in old versions of Labview.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,646 Views)
That is rather strange behavior.  The first thing I would suggest is to make sure your operating system is not set to go into a sleep or standby mode. 
LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,629 Views)

I had a similar issue in an application years ago. I alleviated it by turning off the screen saver.

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,628 Views)

Sorry, I should have mentioned the first things we tried were to turn off any of the power options for hibernate and suspend.  It's a desktop computer. We also turned off the screensaver.  None of these made any difference.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,610 Views)
PointOnePa wrote:

Sorry, I should have mentioned the first things we tried were to turn off any of the power options for hibernate and suspend.  It's a desktop computer. We also turned off the screensaver.  None of these made any difference.

Somehow I just knew you were going to say that. It's never the easy solution. Smiley Sad

The next thing I would try is adding some code that monitors and logs the program itself.  Track (write to a file) the states if it's a state engine or at least log any errors that might be ocurring before it stalls.  Since your program is hanging rather than crashing you can also setup a bunch of probes in places you suspect the problem might be and then see what data your various wires are holding when the problem occurs.

Or... You could just re-write the whole thing in LV9! Smiley Surprised 

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,574 Views)
In some laptop computers you also have some power management options in the BIOS.

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,559 Views)

I don't think it's an LV issue. At least on XP there seems to be some 'bad' implementations for the power-saving options. I couldn't track this yet, but there also seems some issues related to the power-save mode of the monitor (check if you can switch the standby options of the monitor off).

The main 'bug' is that the USB port is powered off during this stand-by. If you have your mouse on USB, you can't wake the PC with the mouse. The solution is to use the PS/2 port (a PS/2 to USB adapter is enough).

Please keep me updated if this solves your problems.

Felix

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,558 Views)