cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview 2016 crash after running

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello All,

I am running a main VI for automated control of my reaction setup which contains a lot subVIs. It ran well previously, but somehow last week it crashed after start running for a few minutes. A message of "LabVIEW 16.0f5 development system has stopped working" pops up. This keeps happening every time I open and run the VI. My operation system is Windows 7. The task manager shows CPU usage of around 13% and memory of 4.1GB. I have tried restart computer and installed patches, even reinstall the LabVIEW 2016, still didn't work.  I've checked all my subVIs, they all run well and no problem of communication with hardware. If the main VI has error, I suppose it should show specific error message instead of just crash and close directly. Does anybody know why this happens?

Thank you.  

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,896 Views)

How much memory is used by LabVIEW? Is this LabVIEW 32bit or 64bit?

How does the program "communicate" with the hardware?

Are you running any unusual antivirus or other security software? What else is running on the PC?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,868 Views)

Thank you for the reply.

The labview is 64bit, I think about 4GB is used by labview, computer total memory is 8GB. The VI communicates through USB DAQ and COM ports. It's a lab computer, we don't run any antivirus software as I know. I also run ChemStation at the same time, which is Agilent HPLC software.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,860 Views)

Nobody is going to have a clue why your application is crashing given what you've shared here.

We can share ideas to help you narrow it down.  But, you're best served calling support.

If you want to avoid that route, start diagram disabling portions of your main VI.  Run it to see if the crash goes away (don't care so much about the functionality.  We're chasing a crash)

If you can narrow it down to something, it's easier to give advice about how to avoid it.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,856 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Journey08

About a week after I installed the f5 Update to LabVIEW 2016, LabVIEW basically stopped running (well, some things worked, but MAX didn't, I suspect Vision didn't, etc.).  About a third of my NI Services had disappeared.  It took about three weeks, working with NI Engineers (to try to diagnose the issue, remedy the issue, and fix the issue) before I was finally able to resolve it.

I'm now running again (32-bit LabVIEW on 64-bit Windows, both Windows 7 and Windows 10).  I am not going to re-install the f5 patch ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,837 Views)

After trying with two computers(windows 7 and 10) and installed four versions of Labview (2016, 2017 with both 32 and 64bit), it turns out the 32bit allows my VI running normally. It just crashed with 64bit, which doesn't make sense to me. But anyway, I finally could use my VI again.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,833 Views)