LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview 2016 EXE and Windows 10

Hey All,

Im building an exe file using LV 2016 64-bit with Windows 7 OS. I've created an installer as well and I've tested my application on multiple Windows 7 OS pc's, so I know it works.

Problem: I try to run the installer on a "Lenovo® H30 Slim Tower Desktop PC, AMD E1, 4GB Memory, 500GB Hard Drive, Windows10, 64-bit" computer and I keep an error "resource not found lvanlys.dll"

Extra Info: Before I tried running my application (which is built using LV 2016), I did install the free version of Labview, which is currently Labview 2017 32-bit version. This Lenovo desktop pc is new and has never been used.

I've looked in the build files and I see the Data folder was created (which has lvanlys.dll), so why doesn't my application use it? How can I dow my application on my Windows 10 PC?

I've attached the lvproj and the exe files.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(4,737 Views)

You will need to install the appropriate LabVIEW runtime engine for LabVIEW 2016 64bit. Had a similar problem, it was fixed by putting the newer (in my case LV Runtime 32  2015) on. It had LVRTE 2015, but it was an older version apparently. You need the LVRTE version that corresponds to the version used to make the exe, they are not backward compatible.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(4,726 Views)

Sorry for a late response, but I had to research issues relating to this as well as build my exe with multiple RTE versions. I wanted to try potential solutions before I reposted. 

OK, I've built by exe file with LV Runtime 2016 f2 and then I had built Stand-Alone Applications (From NI, "Stand-Alone Applications:

You can develop stand-alone applications (executables) that only require the LabVIEW Run-Time Engine to run on systems without LabVIEW installed.")

I made sure that when I built my Stand-Alone Application, it installed LV Runtime 2016 f2, therefore exe has always been built using the correct RTE.

When I install my Stand-Alone Application, here are the errors I'm getting when I click the Run button: (attached)

Note: The run button is broken as seen in the attachment, but but when I run this Stand-Alone Application on the PC that I built in on, which is a Windows 7 OS, the VI works with good Run button.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(4,660 Views)

I don't get it.  I've built multiple Applications (.exe), but until a month ago, I'd only installed them on PC that I'd also installed LabVIEW (so I could test "in situ").  But then I needed to install some LabVIEW 2016 applications that used VISA and NI Vision, and the machine hosting it was running LabVIEW 2014, so I built an Installer, which installed the appropriate LabVIEW RunTime and Drivers.  Worked like a charm.

Isn't that what you did?  I thought that was the whole point of building an Installer (in addition to the Application).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(4,653 Views)

Are you building an exe and manually installing it and the LRTE, etc.? Or, are you, as Bob asks, building an installer, which if properly configured, will figure out which is the appropriate LabVIEW Run Time Engine and other drivers. The pain then is that it may ask you to put in specific installation media (I am fighting with that, having installed 2015, 2016 since the project I am building the installer for was done), to get the expected versions. And the resulting file size will be big!      We had an issue here (not the one mentioned above) where it appeared that we had the correct LRTE and VISA installed, but got the error you are reporting, even though the same dll was in the support folder. Not sure why it copies that if it isn't actually going to use it, but it appears it does.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(4,634 Views)

Thank you guys for replying...and I did what Bob had said about building an application installer which installs the appropriate LabVIEW RunTime and Drivers.

The desktop computer, I'm trying to install my application on, never had Labview installed on it ever (until I installed the free 2017 Labview 32-bit version during the same time I tried to install my application). I only installed the free 2017 version because I thought it may help...I had to try. But, installing the free 2017 Labview version shouldn't have any affect on my "Stand-Alone application", hence the name...I hope NI personnel know about all the Windows 10 issues out there, because as I research more and more, it seems there are many incompatibility issues.

I've installed my application on many Windows 7 computers and I know it works...the only variable I see that it different is the OS.

I dont know what else I can try....I hope someone out there knows.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(4,620 Views)

@CabanaCE wrote:

I only installed the free 2017 version because I thought it may help..

I am not aware of any "free versions". What exactly did you install?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(4,608 Views)

Its a free evaluation version (attached)

Link: http://www.ni.com/gate/gb/GB_EVALLVVAV/US

Regards,

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(4,603 Views)

A couple of comments.

• LabVIEW is very "version-specific".  You will not do well with code developed on one machine using LabVIEW 2016, built as an executable on the Development machine,  and ported to another machine having LabVIEW 2017 Run Time Engine.
  • There is no such thing as "Free LabVIEW".  There is an "Evaluation" license that provides some LabVIEW Features for evaluation purposes -- it is not supposed to be used to develop applications and use them without purchasing the LabVIEW licenses.  You can test them (on the Evaluation machine) -- if you like what you see, you can purchase the license, develop, and then port it (with the appropriate Installer) to another machine.
  • What I just said may be 100% incorrect -- I have not carefully reviewed the EULA, but am going on Common Sense, something that tends to make Lawyers have a higher standard of living than I do.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(4,597 Views)

I agree with you and that's why I didn't put much hope into that being a solution (me installing the free LV 2017 version), but I had to try. I just had to list everything I did during my troubleshooting just in case someone noticed I did something wrong.

All and all, I've built a stand-alone application with LV 2016 and it should work on Windows 10 OS, because NI says it's compatible. My application works on all Windows 7 OS that I've installed it on, which some never had any LV version installed on in. 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(4,588 Views)