LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview 2012 SP1 Crashes in Windows 7 SP1

Yes, that's my understanding of the post.

Just note the disclaimer on the blog :

@TescomAustin Disclaimer: Most of these tokens have not been thoroughly tested and validated by NI R&D. Use them at your own risk. NI or I may not be held responsible for any damage caused by the use of the tokens below.
CLAMaxime -- Kudos are a great way to say thank you
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 15
(646 Views)

PROBLEM SOLVED...

First, the caviat that I am not a programmer. I am a metrologist that needs to set up an automated measurement. So hunt and peck is the mode of the day (I really don't even like programming - but I need it to get my job done).

As a reminder, I am running LabVIEW 2012 SP1 on a Windows 7 SP! computer.  The problem had been that no matter what VI I attempted to run, LabVIEW crashed.  The confusing details for non-programmer types like me is that the wide variety of NI Software is sometimes fussy about using the correct rev of software A with the compatible rev of software B with C, D, etc.  So I try to be fussy about making sure I install mutually compatible revisions. As a technical manager of a commercial calibration lab, I do this quite a bit, as we support many different types of NI measurement instrument.

So when installing the various supporting software modules around my LabVIEW 2012 SP1, I read the compatibility rules of the road, which in this case, are apparently wrong.  The supporting software that I believe was the culprit is NI-VISA.  Version 16 states that it is not compatible with LabVIEW 2012.  But I installed it anyway yesterday. After installing NI-VISA 16.0, my GPIB stopped working correctly., so (even though it stated not compatible with my version of LabVIEW), I installed 488.2 v 17.6.0 and GPIB works again.  As was pointed out to me (me not being really a programmer), That non compatible does not necessarily mean that it is proven to definitely NOT work with LabVIEW 2012, it is (apparently) just not verified to work with LabVIEW 2012.

The the issue is (I think) that some of the applicable support software installs related to LabVIEW needed to be compatible with Windows 7 SP1 (which was my first inclination). VISA needed (I think) to be a rev that is compatible with Windows 7 SP1, as SP1 changed some details as to how my computer is allowed to interact with various I/O ports etc.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 15
(625 Views)

Glad it works ! 🙂

And yes, sometimes getting the right version of drivers or soft is a pain...

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 15
(621 Views)

Particularly as a non-programmer.  Now I am still in the tall grass.  I got LabVIEW working with various VI's. It is one problem after another. I got the Agilent 34420A VI to RUN (basically), then, as my 34420A is a little older, when I do a *IDN? the manufacturer name is "HEWLETT-PACKARD" and the drivers are all written for either "Agilent" or "Keysight". One of my young technicians is pretty programming savvy, so he has been helping. I got over that hump by editing the name in the INITIALIZE VI.  Got past that. Now I am working on figuring out how to configure the measurement I need (Temperature in Deg C, using an RTD with ITS-90 coefficients). Then I need to figure out how to save them into a CSV or TXT file to export to Excel.... Such great fun. If you have any quick thoughts about the saving to CSV or TXT part, I would definitely read them. I believe I will be able to figure out the configuration details.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 15
(619 Views)

For CSV format you can try that VI, it is pretty easy to use : http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361M-01/glang/write_delimited_spreadsheet/

For text files, some insight here : http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361N-01/lvhowto/writing_to_text_files/

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 15
(616 Views)