LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview 16.0 sudden slow down

Hi, I am currently running a co-simulation for control of a microgrid using Labview 16.0. 

I am experiencing sudden slow down of the labview software. It basically takes way too much time to edit anything and to run co-simulations. 

It takes about 30mins to run a 0.05s co-simulation atm. The frustrating thing here that it was working fine until yesterday and I have not changed anything.  I have to admit that my VI is very large in size and it takes a lot of time anyways, but I have also tried running other VIs that usually take no time at all, but they also took very long time. 

I figured it would be some sort of computer issue, so I checked for virus and tried optimizing the memory, but still no luck. 

Is it possible that some settings might have changed on labview? any suggestions on making it a little fatser? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,285 Views)

Did you REBOOT the system?

If not, did you at least SHUTDOWN LV and restarted it?

If you rebooted the system and the slowness is still present:

Does it only occur after you load your custom project or does it already happen when creating a new VI (e.g. put a loop, a wait time and an indicator for the iterator in it)?

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,265 Views)

So some quick questions:

- How long does it normally take? 

- Is it possible the simulation changed slightly and number of simulation steps increased?

- Is something else using your hard drive (like a virus scanner)?

- Does restarting the computer help at all?

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,260 Views)

Yes I have rebooted the system, tried all the updates, and even reinstalled it. 

I just tried creating a new VI, and it seems like it is much faster. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,237 Views)

-It would normally take around 5mins for a 0.05s simulation, so still a slow one, but it would not take 30mins. 

-Nope, I have not changed anything.. 

-I monitored the task manager while running the Labview, and it seems like there isn't anything that uses substantial memory other than Labview...

-Yep I have restarted the computer many times... but still no success..

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,233 Views)

@incasekim wrote:

[...]

I just tried creating a new VI, and it seems like it is much faster. 

Would you say it is performing as always?

If so, i would focus the search on interfaces you are using in your simulation application. Configuration of fire wall and virus scanner software can greatly affect network-based communication, even if it is localhost (127.0.0.1) only (not using the actual transfer but only the internal TCP or UDP stack).

These configurations could have changed by Windows updates or IT interactions which might be unknown to you. So in case my assumption is correct, please ask your local IT about changes they done or updates they installed on the system.

Also you might check for errors, mainly focusing on time-out errors. Timeouts are often configured for 10, 30 or 60 seconds and repeatedly running into them has a significant slow down as result.

Just for verification:

Developement in the sources is still 'normal'. Only execution (pressing run button) is slow. Correct?

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,224 Views)

First of all, thank you so much for helping me out here!

Norbert_B wrote:

Just for verification:

Developement in the sources is still 'normal'. Only execution (pressing run button) is slow. Correct?

Yes, development in the sources is normal, and only the execution is slow. 

If so, i would focus the search on interfaces you are using in your simulation application. Configuration of fire wall and virus scanner software can greatly affect network-based communication, even if it is localhost (127.0.0.1) only (not using the actual transfer but only the internal TCP or UDP stack).

These configurations could have changed by Windows updates or IT interactions which might be unknown to you. So in case my assumption is correct, please ask your local IT about changes they done or updates they installed on the system.

I am currently only running co-simulations with multisim, do firewall configurations and IT interactions still have an effect on this? 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,207 Views)

@incasekim wrote:
[...]I am currently only running co-simulations with multisim, do firewall configurations and IT interactions still have an effect on this? 

I am not familiar with the multisim interface, so i don't know if that is ActiveX/.NET based or if it uses TCP. If it is the latter, network settings and firewall configuration do matter.

Norbert
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,187 Views)

Thanks guys for your help! I tried everything but nothing really worked so I resolved it by formatting the computer and reinstalled everything. 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,148 Views)