LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabView starts to bog down when editing front panel

Am running LV 2013 (32 bit) on a Win 7 64 bit machine.  Am doing some refinement on a decent sized app and when performing a lot of editing on the front panel, mainly organizing controls, aligning panes, making it look pretty, etc,  it starts to get really slow. The response time for moving a single control or decoration can start to take severl seconds.  If I am not carefull, it will end up crashing.  Closing LV completely and reopneing the app clears this up but aftere a short period of time, it starts doing it again.

My thoughts are that maintaining the undo references while I am doing this is somehow causing the system to start dragging but that is just a guess.

Any other thoughts on this and what I might be able to do to improve the condition?

Thanks....

Doug

"My only wish is that I am capable of learning each and every day until my last breath."
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,770 Views)

Doug,

does that application use a lot of type definitions? Strict type definitions? Do changes in those auto-propagate?

Undo history is also a good guess, so maybe you want to modify the history length (99 per default per VI). You can do this is the LV options in "Environment".

If LV crashes, what is reported as source?

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,767 Views)

Yes, lots of typedef's that are auto-updating,  also several tabbed containers, some embedded a couple levels deep.  It is a very busy front end without question as the app contains a lot of features, some of which are restricted to certain personnel and such.

I will try to reduce the undo levels and see how that impacts the problem.

When it does crash, it just goes into  (Not Responding) mode and then goes away, no message, no recovery, nothing.

Will post how the undo change affects it when I am able to try it a bit later today.

Thanks...

Doug

"My only wish is that I am capable of learning each and every day until my last breath."
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,748 Views)

Also try to avoid overlapping objects in general.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,732 Views)

I do have a little what I would call overlap I think as I am using several instances of a simple decoration frame to group things together and in some cases, this frame sits on top of the outer edge of a tab container.

Once it is organized, it will never move again and it doesn't cause a problem with the execution but is is just very annoying while I am trying to get the front end to look the way I want it to.

Doug

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,725 Views)

I wanted to add another data point. I have seen this issue in LV 2010 and LV 2012 (both 32bit).

Exhibited on two projects with main screens that contain:

• Tabs
  • Type Defined custom controls and indicators
  • Indicators on top of graphics (customer requirement)
  • Use of pipe graphics from DSC module [Image Navigator] (many pieces)

There was not a problem with load time or execution speed.

steve

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the forum when you get help. Click the "Solution?" icon on the reply that answers your
question. Give "Kudos" to replies that help.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,695 Views)

I have tabs and typedefs everywhere.  Lots of options and tabs seems the best way to keep it organized and clean for the users.  Strange thing about this is that this behavior only started dragging bad within the past few weeks.  When I was originally creating it, I didn't have this problem.

It has gotten to a point where it doesn't take long to start doing it when I am working on the UI and it gets real bad pretty quick.  Seems as if it's is getting worse each day.  Am just about done with it though so shouldn't have to deal with it much longer.

Thanks for the feedback......

Doug

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,640 Views)

Doug,

i think for the future you should work with subpanels in case you need a very labor-intensive UIs. This really addresses the issues you describe in a very modular way.

If the customer doesn't require the UI to be integrated, a set of popup dialogs (e.g. for configuration settings) attached to a custom runtime menu also helps in making the UI simpler.

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,623 Views)

I looked at sub-panels briefly last week but having never used them and being as far along as I am, it didn't make sense to make a change for this app but indeed, in the future I will definitely explore that option.

Very little of what I have would lend itself to pop-ups though I do have a couple in there for certain features.

Doug

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,614 Views)