From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabView install: error writing to file .../cviengerror.ver

Hello,

I'm trying to install LabView and I keep stumbling on this error: "Error writing to file: C:\Windows\system32\cvrite\bin\English\cviengerror.ver"

I've tried reinstalling the application a few times while running the installer as an admin but to no avail. I've checked that the directory is created and I was able to add new files to it and delete them so I don't think this is a permition problem. I'm thinking the PC needs a third party software updated but I have no clue which one it is. Does anybody have an idea on how to proceed?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,142 Views)

HI!

I am Collin de Wit, an Application Engineer at National Instruments. If I undertsand correctly you are trying to install LabVIEW 2014 (64 bit) and during that installation you are receiving this error?

There are at this moment three things we can verify:

- Is there any anti virus software turned one which might block this feature during installation?

- Are you running the installer as Admin or are you logged in as an Admin? (This is a difference for windows)

- Is this a clean install, or are there older versions or other versions of LabVIEW installed on this computer?

Hope to hear from you to continue troubleshooting with you!

Best regards,

Collin de Wit

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,998 Views)

Hi Collin de Wit, thank you for your reply.

I can confirm that:

- I am trying to insall LabVIEW 2014 (64 bit) and received the error during that installation.

- There is an antivirus software but it does not seem to be complaining about the installer. In any case, a different machine running the same antivirus software had no trouble installing LabVIEW.

- I am both logged in as an Admin and running the installer as an Admin.

- It is a clean install. I had to manually remove the National Instruments folder and clean the registry after the first unsuccesfull attempt, as the uninstaller did not seem to work. 

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,981 Views)

Hi!

Thank you for your information!

After reviewing this with a colleague we have the following questions:

- Are the settings the same for both anit virus software on both computers?

- What was the problem with your first unsuccesfull attempt which lead you to clean your registry? Was it the same behaviour?

Hope to hear from you!

Best regards,

Collin de Wit

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,918 Views)

Hello,

Thank you for your effort on this! As for your questions: 

- The settings for both antivirus software are the same.

- The first unsuccesfull atempt was the same error but there were already files installed and registry entries made. Since the uninstaller didn't work as well (it didn't start at all) I had to manually delete the installed files and clean the registry.

Regards,

Pavel

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,886 Views)

Hi Pavel,

Since you are unable to reproduce it on another machine and we are not able to reproduce it ourselves as well. It is very probable that there is a corruption in a registry. The best way to solve this is to reformat your whole computer. Please make back-ups of every document and software that you need, but reformatting will repair any corruptions to the registry or other OS components.

Best regards,

Collin de Wit

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,861 Views)

Hi Collin de Wit,

I don't think we can spare the time to reformat that PC right now so we'll use a different PC. We managed to install it on yet another machine without an issue so it's probably something wrong with the PC itself, like you say. Thank you for your time!

Regards,

Pavel

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,849 Views)