LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabView for More Complicated Setups

How is LabView for a complicated setup with 5 or 6 test instruments using
GPIB for instrument control. Automated tests required are software intensive
with power measurements, spectrum analyzer measurements, etc.
Gary
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,508 Views)
I wouldn't use anything BUT LabVIEW for this, and I have.

I created an automated test setup to take several hundred measurements including all of the RF measurements, voltages, resistance, even Audio levels, and a host of others using ONLY a Laptop with LabVIEW, and several instruments communicating through a GPIB-USB converter.

Of course, if I had to do it over again, I would have used PXI.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,508 Views)
What RF measurements did you setup. What is PXI. What is it about LabView
that is so great.
Gary

"Labviewguru" wrote in message
news:50650000000500000011860000-1023576873000@exchange.ni.com...
> I wouldn't use anything BUT LabVIEW for this, and I have.
>
> I created an automated test setup to take several hundred measurements
> including all of the RF measurements, voltages, resistance, even Audio
> levels, and a host of others using ONLY a Laptop with LabVIEW, and
> several instruments communicating through a GPIB-USB converter.
>
> Of course, if I had to do it over again, I would have used PXI.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,508 Views)
You name it, I measured it. Frequency spectrum, power, even input and output Bit Error Rate testing.

PXI is a compact PCI format for computer based instruments. I was not responsible for setting up the hardware, so the instruments were ordered before I got there. Had I a choice, I would have selected the PXI instruments instead, to save money, and make things a lot easier. Just go to ni.com/pxi (?) or look at the catalog. Its a very convenient format for hardware.

LabVIEW is DESIGNED for instrumentation and measurement. It is optimized for your need. If you need any help, contact NI and they will put you in touch with a field engineer.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,508 Views)
Gary,
If you are interested in contacing NI for possible options in your test configuration, simply call (800) 433-3488. Our sales representatives are available to help you find a solution that is suitable to your needs. I think you would see a number of advantages in programming your application in LabVIEW including quicker development time and ease of use. Good luck with your application and please don't hesitate to call with any questions.

Jim Cahow
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,508 Views)