LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabView Twain communication for flatbed scanners

I would like to have communication between a flatbed scanner and LabView. I read many posts about this topic, but I could not find a solution. One option of the proposed solution is to contact LabView partner, which can be provided already made solutions. In particular, in the previous posts, two partners are mentioned, Graftek Imaging (www.graftek.com) and alliance Vision which now is called opto (Home / Opto). I have contacted both of them, and I did not get an answer back.
It is really frustrating that in 2022  it is so complicated to establish communication between a flatbed scanner and LabView. I have connected all sorts of cameras, sensors and robots to LabView, but I cannot do the same with a simple flatbed scanner.

I appreciate any help!

Regards,

Francisco

I would like to have communication between a flatbed scanner and LabView. I read many posts about this topic, but I could not find a solution. One option of the proposed solution is to contact LabView partner, which can be provided already made solutions. In particular, in the previous posts, two partners are mentioned, Graftek Imaging (www.graftek.com) and alliance Vision which now is called opto (Home / Opto). I have contacted both of them, and I did not get an answerback.
It is really frustrating that in 2022  it is so complicated to establish communication between a flatbed scanner and LabView. I have connected all sorts of cameras, sensors and robots to LabView, but I cannot do the same with a simple flatbed scanner.

I appreciate any help!

Regards,

Francisco

TWAIN Protocol Support - NI Community

Twain Driver - NI Community

Driver Twain - NI Community

Search Driver Twain, Pleeeeeeeeeeease... - NI Community

Using Twain drivers with CVI - NI Community

twain for IMAQ - NI Community

TWAIN library needed... - NI Community

TWAIN scanner interface - NI Community

Using a twain driver - NI Community

connect reference for twain labview - NI Community

Graftek / Aliance Vision Twain driver - NI Community

URGENT: TWAIN driver for labview needed... - NI Community

acquire images with labview via firewire and TWAIN - NI Community

Networked scanner driver - NI Community

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(951 Views)

Twain is a VERY old standard from the stone age of computing. It is very tricky to get right and its API is obscure to be able to be implemented with the technology available on computers from the begin of the 90ies of last century. While it still works under Windows, it is normally only used by high end document management software. The WIA (Windows Image Acquisition) API is the standard way to integrate scanners under Windows if you don't have advanced scanner features such as automatic paper feeders and similar. Windows provides also a WIA to Twain bridge so that any scanner manufacturer who provides a WIA driver for his devices, can still support Twain applications without having to develop a Twain driver themselves.

So if your scanner does not provide automatic document feeders and such, the standard way to access it under Windows is normally through the WIA API. The few applications that can handle scanner input usually make use of that API unless they are expensive professional document management systems which still often use the Twain API. The market for a LabVIEW Twain driver is however so small that it simply doesn't pay even for the cost of distribution and sales of the thing, not to talk about development, support and long term maintenance.

I'm pretty sure that WIA is in one way or the other accessible through .Net, Twain most likely too. But they usually are not free either.

I'll have to check about my old library, but am not sure how I could make it available. It was a hairy DLL to write and some of the internal message loop handling made me rather uneasy about if it would work in future Windows versions. 

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(915 Views)

Dear Rolf,

Thank you for your answer! I try to followed your advice but it seems that there is even less information about WIA API than for TWAIN interface. I tried the .NET but I could not find WIA in the assembly list. I could´t find any post or website that help me in this direction.

The only thing I found was these two post:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/WIA-in-labview/td-p/1525154

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabWindows-CVI/How-do-I-take-a-picture-from-usb-camera-using-the-Windows-Im...
, which did not help much.

Kind regards,

Francisco

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(884 Views)

Indeed the WIA API is only really documented in the Windows DDK, which describes how to write a WIA driver for a device. From that one can deduce how to call the user space COM API that allows accessing WIA. I did dabble with that in the past to access USB still image cameras, but that is nowadays also already an almost obsolete feature.

As I said I have done a Twain library in the past but will need to assess if it still works in modern Windows systems, which is additionally made difficult by not having any scanner available to test with. This was in Windows 2000 times (yes very old), so I would be very surprised if it simply works with Windows 10 and LabVIEW 202x.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(874 Views)

Dear Rolf,

Thank you for your answer!

I am following the post,Re: Twain Driver - NI Community and more or less some things are working. At least I can connect the scanner to LabView.

Could you share with us the Twain library you have created even if it is not update it my help to start.

Kind regards,

Francisco 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(855 Views)

No I can't post it as is. I tried and it runs into some Windows problems that will need to be fixed in the associated DLL first.  Also this has been very considerable work (several weeks of full time initial development and many more hours of maintenance and bug fixes as it got used in a few internal projects) that I could not post for free use. It is not accessing any ActiveX or .Net component, but directly the Twain Data Source Manager, but was developed for the Twain standard 1.8. The current version 2.4.3 that is released by the Twain Group does use different DLL names and possibly different APIs, so it will not work with the current DLL I have and installing an old Twain DSM 1.8 on modern Windows systems is not going to be a solution either.

I need to see what I can come up with for this but it is not working properly as is!

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(850 Views)

Okay, I understand, Thank you for checking!

Kind regards,

Francisco

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(841 Views)