From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabView DAQ running more stable under Linux?

Hello,

We are doing LabView DAQ using a cDAQ9714 module (with AI card 9203 and AO card 9265) at a customer site. We are running an excutable on a Windows PC and had a couples of times (3 so far) that the PC just gone freeze for some reason and we lost all inputs and outputs. Each time it happend after the program continous run a few days. So far we have no clue why this is happening (Any idea?)

We need the program to run continously for months and years and absolutely hate the fact that it freeze. Since we couldn't find any bug in the program till now, we're thinking to blame Windows. Then alternative for us is to use Linux os. My questions are:

1. Does LabView run stable on Linux than on Windows? Any data or experience anyone has?

2. To get the same program runs on Linux, I heard I have to buy a LabView Linux delelopment tool and create the excutable from there. Does this involve any extra effort than the Windows one?

3. Does NI have any industrial PC that has Linux OS preinstalled instead of Windows? We bought one PPC 2115 before.

Thanks!

Rgds,

Harry

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 24
(2,908 Views)

Harry, to address your questions: 

1) It is tough to answer your question straight forward here.  You can have a look at a general overlook of stability on Windows vs Linux here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Windows_and_Linux#Stability.  I can tell you that we do not have any benchmarks that are comparing vi or deployment "stability" on a Windows vs Linux machine.  It's also going to weight heavily on what Windows version you have, and what all you have running on that Windows machine, hardware config on the PC, etc etc..

2) You are correct you would need to program in LabVIEW Linux and then deploy for LabVIEW Linux (either with Application Builder or LabVIEW Professional)..basically the same software components of a Windows LV but for Linux.     

3)  We do offer some industrial controllers; however, none of them come imaged with Linux.  You could certainly install Linux on them, but we don't sell it like that off the shelf.  

I hope this helps with your inquiry Harry...good luck with your application!

Regards,

Ben N.
Applications Engineering
ni.com/support
Message 2 of 24
(2,890 Views)

Hi Harry,

One thing you may want to check is to look at the Windows Task Manager to check your memory performance.  It is possible that your code has a memory leak that slowly eats away at your PC's resources until it crashes.  Switching to Linux will likely not help an issue like that.  To see if this is an issue, start your executable and then benchmark your startup memory from the Task Manager.  Check the values over the next couple days if you can, and see if the memory used is growing.  If so, then you have a memory leak in your code.  Check for things like arrays that continuously grow, references that are never closed, etc. 

Hope this helps!

Jason

Message 3 of 24
(2,881 Views)

Jason,

Thanks! This is exactly what I am currently doing over this weekend - I left my program running (the only one runs and I even killed network connections) since yesterday and will check the memeory status next Monday. Will let you guys know what happens.

Rgds,

Harry

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 24
(2,871 Views)

Ben

Thanks for your reply. I was told by others that LabView Linux actually does NOT support any USB type of device like my cDAQ-9174. So can you confirm this info for me please? If this is indeed the case, I'll just try to find other way around and save some time on this Linux thing. Thanks

Harry

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 24
(2,870 Views)

Harry - 

Currently that is the case, at least with USB DAQ.  We do have some USB-based devices that can be programmed with on DAQmx Base (as opposed to DAQmx).  R&D is working on developing support for these devices within Linux, but the timeline is unknown.  I pasted a link below here that charts out what driver support we have for our portable DAQ devices currently.  

https://www.ni.com/en/support/documentation/compatibility/21/ni-hardware-and-operating-system-compat... 

Regards,

Ben N.
Applications Engineering
ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 24
(2,850 Views)

Ben,

Thanks. I'll then just pass the Linux thing.

Harry

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 24
(2,847 Views)

Ben,

For the future reference, can you let me know if NI provide any Analog input and output device (via USB, RS232 etc) that can work under Linux system? Particularly, we need up to 16 current input channels and 16 current output channels (16bits, 24 bits etc are all fine). A chassis probably comes handy too. Do you have any recommendation to make it work?

We still believe Linux probably better for long term (years) data collection than Windows so want to have some info to be ready.

Thanks

Rgds,

Harry

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 24
(2,833 Views)

Harry - the main link here: https://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/374768ae.html will show DAQmx (some Linux) and DAQmx Base (Linux/Mac) support for all of our products.  It's the same table on the last link it just links a list for all of our hardware offerings.  Currently there aren't any offerings with your desired I/O, we have a few multifunction DAQ devices like the USB-6218 that can be programmed with DAQmx Base in Linux.  If you are looking to run stand-alone and highly stable applications you may want to look into programming an application with the LabVIEW Real-Time Module and deploy it to a RTOS (Real Time Operating System) controller.  You would program the application in Windows with LabVIEW and this additional module, and then distribute the program to a controller.  If you deployed to an industrial controller you can interface PCIe, USB buses etc for your DAQ instruments.  We also offer this in our CompactRIO form factor where you would deploy the application to a controller/C series chassis similar to the compactDAQ you are using now in that it houses those C series modules but has much more to offer.  I've put a few links below here if you would like to look into these products any further.  

NI 3110:  https://www.ni.com/en-us/support/model.ni-3110.html

NI CompactRIO: https://www.ni.com/en/shop/compactrio.html

NI 9074 Integrated 8 Slot Controller-Chassis:  https://www.ni.com/en-us/support/model.crio-9074.html

Regards,

Ben N.
Applications Engineering
ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 24
(2,810 Views)

Ben,

I appreciated your help! It seems I'm heading to the right direction now to find a better solution for my future project.

I like the option of CompactRIO system. I am not sure if this is the right question for you, but I want to put together a BASIC such system, what are the components I have to have?

A stand-alone system with 16 current inputs and one RS485 to communicate with the end user DCS.

1. Current card: 9208

2. 9871 RS485 module

3. Controller: cRIO-9012 or similar?

4. Chassis: cRIO-9111 or similar?

5. Cables

What about software package? I currently have LabView 2010 basic development system with a application builder license. What else is a minimum requirement to build the above system?

Thanks

Rgds,

Harry

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 24
(2,805 Views)