From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabView 8.6 Installer Build Unsuccessful - "Error in action: [TagExists?]"

Hello,

I am trying to build an installer for my application. The exe and source directory files all work great, but the installer build was unsuccessful. The details of the error are as follows:

CDK_Item_OnDblClick.vi.ProxyCaller >> CDK_Item_OnDblClick.vi >> CDK_InstallerConfiguration_Editor.vi >> CDK_Build_Invoke.vi >> CDK_Engine_Main.vi >> CDK_Engine_PreBuild.vi >> CDK_Validate_BuildRules.vi >> CDK_TargetTree_FileFGTransfer.vi >> CDK_FGMgr_DirInfo.vi

Does anybody know how to fix this?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18
(5,507 Views)

by "Source Directory", I mean Source Distribution.....    this is what seems to be causing the problem. Without including the Source Distribution files, the installer builds fine. Are Source Distributions supported in the installer builds?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 18
(5,504 Views)

As long as your source distribution is also in your project, you should be just fine.  I just added a blank vi to my project, built a source directory, and then built an installer which includes the vi from the source directory just fine.

Any reason you are trying to include the source distribution in an Installer?  What version of LabView are you attempting to build this on?

Rob K
Measurements Mechanical Engineer (C-Series, USB X-Series)
National Instruments
CompactRIO Developers Guide
CompactRIO Out of the Box Video
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 18
(5,471 Views)

I've just got a similar error message in the same situation (build an installer combining exe and source distribution with LabView 8.6+Application Builder):

Error in action: [TagExists?]

CDK_Item_OnDoProperties.vi.ProxyCaller >> CDK_Item_OnDoProperties.vi >> CDK_InstallerConfiguration_Editor.vi >> CDK_Build_Invoke.vi >> CDK_Engine_Main.vi >> CDK_Engine_PreBuild.vi >> CDK_Validate_BuildRules.vi >> CDK_TargetTree_FileFGTransfer.vi >> CDK_FGMgr_DirInfo.vi

Actually it's working if the source distribution is a simple llb but it fails when the source distribution is a llb associated with a data folder.

Moreover, the build configuration for the installer always forget the source distribution I have included the last time I opened it; don't know if it could be related.

Does one of you manage to solve this issue?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 18
(5,325 Views)

Pierre,

I'll look a little more into this issue this week and let you know what I find out.  I was unable to reproduce the error before, but I'll give it another go since it doesn't seem to be an isolated incident.

Rob K
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 18
(5,305 Views)

Actually after verification with NI, it looks to be a bug in 8.6. It happens when you want to make an installer with a source distribution that contains both a llb and a data folder. If it's only a llb or if it's a folder instead of a llb, it's working.

Pierre Cottin

INO

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18
(5,281 Views)

We did end up verifying this and the issue has been reported to the R&D department for a fix in a future release.  The ID for this CAR is #137929 if you need some more information on it.

Some reported workaround include building the Source Distribution as an hierarchy or to build the isntaller using 8.5 (and including the 8.6 exe you created).

Let me know if you need any help with this, and thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Rob K
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18
(5,241 Views)
I am experiencing the same problem which was first reported in Sepember, 2008.  It is now March, 2009. Is there a solution yet?
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 18
(5,034 Views)

This CAR is not covered by 8.6.1. I will check with Labview 2009 (beta) if it works. In the meantime, I zip my source distributions, put them in a folder of my project, add them to the installer and use a batch file post installation to unzip each distribution at the right location.

Pierre Cottin

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 18
(5,013 Views)
Thanks for the reply. I'm headed back to 8.5.1 where life is good.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 18
(5,007 Views)