From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabView 2018 connection problems with VIs from Vision Acquisition Software

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello there,

i am working on a LabView project for automatic measurements. The original project was build with LabView 2011, Vision Acquisition Software August 2013 on an Win XP system. The new PC runs Win 10 and LabView 2018 with Vision Acq. May 2017. I know there are many compatible problems but i thought LabView 2018 could handle such an "old" project nevertheless.

Now im facing the problem that many of the IMAQ VIs dont work properly. The error list says that there is no connection or the connection is between different data types. Here are some screenshots of the VIs that causes the errors (just two of them, there are more VIs with such problems)

enum video modes LV2018.JPGopen camera vi LV 2018.JPG

At first i suspected the missing compatibility causing this problems. But then I discovered that i cant choose any of the Vision Acq. VIs from the functions palette.

tool empty.png

So I think there might be a problem with the installation of the Vision Acquisition software. To solve the problem I already forced a clean reinstall of the Vision software ( force reinstall non-working software ) with the actual Ni-DAQmx 18.5 as installation source. But this doesnt change anything. Here a screenshot of NI MAX and NI License manager so you can get an overview about my software versions.

Ni MAX.PNGLicence manager.PNG

I would be very happy to receive further solution proposals.

Regards,

Lukas

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,563 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author LuRa

You have two choices:

• Uninstall LabVIEW 2018 and install LabVIEW 2017, which will be compatible with LabVIEW Vision 2017 software.
  • Install LabVIEW Vision Acquisition Software 2018 (which may require a separate license).  You would not need to "remove" anything with this method.

LabVIEW changes sufficiently from Version to Version that there are often problems with backward compatibility (which is what you have).  On some occasions, newer Drivers will be "backward compatible" with older LabVIEW versions, but my personal practice is to not install "the latest drivers" unless there is a really compelling reason to do so (like NI says "Oops, VISA for LabVIEW 2015 has a Serious Security Bug -- install the LabVIEW 2016 Version here" (I'm making this up -- I don't recall seeing any such warning, other than the LabVIEW 2013 Security Patch that is still being shipped with every Driver Package release).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,538 Views)

I worked out a solution. At first I reinstalled the vision software with NI-DAQmx as the installation source, it couldn't fix the problem as i mentioned (i think it just renewed the drivers and not the whole software). But later i retried this with VAS 18.0 as the installation source and it works. Now i can start the project without errors and i can choose the NI-DAQ VIs from the "vision and motion" submenu.

So your second idea would be the right hint i guess. Thank you for that!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,530 Views)