LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabView 2012 32-bit, creating an installer to run on Windows 7 64-bit

Hello I have the full development LabView system installed on a 32-bit PC running Windows XP.  I'm trying to create in an installer that will be ran on a 64-bit machine running Windows 7.  I'm able to create the installer, but when I try to run the installer I get on the Windows 7 64-bit machine I get:

"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you’re running.  Check your computer’s system information to see whether    

you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64(64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher."

I tried changing the compatibility mode under properties, without any success.  What else can be causing this issue.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18
(3,814 Views)

There should be abolutely no problem installing or running a 32 bit LabVIEW executable in windows 64 bit. I do it all the time.

There must be something else. can you give a bit more details about your application? Are you including the runtime engine in the installer?

"I tried changing the compatibility mode under properties, without any success" 

What exactly did you do here?

LabVIEW "full" does not allow building applications or installers unless you also have the application builder. I guess you have that.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 18
(3,803 Views)

I am including the runtime engine. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 18
(3,771 Views)

I copied the install files over to the laptop using a usb drive.  I right click on the setup.exe and select properties.  I then select the compatibility tab. I then check the Run this program in compatibility mode for.....

I tried with all the listed OS with the same error showing up each time.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 18
(3,770 Views)

Are you installing the LabVIEW 2012 32-bit runtime engine?

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 18
(3,767 Views)

I've installed runtime engine on both machines.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18
(3,755 Views)

This is more of a question than an answer, but if you include 32-bit drivers in the install, would it fail in this manner when attempting an install on a 64-bit system?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18
(3,743 Views)

@Sebastian2011 wrote:

I copied the install files over to the laptop using a usb drive.  I right click on the setup.exe and select properties.  I then select the compatibility tab. I then check the Run this program in compatibility mode for.....

... for what? Please don't leave out important information!

What happens if you don't do that? Do you have admin privileges? Do you include any other additional installers?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 18
(3,741 Views)

No matter what I do I get the same error.  I do have admin privileges.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 18
(3,721 Views)

Hi Sebastian,

Typically you should not encounter issues running an installer on Windows 7 64-bit that was created in LabVIEW 32-bit. Have you tried rebuilding the installer and installing it again? Do you have any other computers you could test this on? Can you post your project so that I can try to reproduce this. If you can't post your project, create a more simple project with which you can reproduce the error message and post that.

Arham H
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 18
(3,687 Views)