From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabView 2010: Any improvement in Resolution Independence?

Hi Everyone,

My last project I did in LabView was Way back in LV8.5.  Back then, I posted a question concerning screen resolution independence in LabView. Specifically, making a form resizable at run time and properly scaling controls / text properly:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Labview-resizing-control/m-p/577438

Have any improvements been made on this front in either 2009 or 2010?  I'm getting ready to start another project where the UI must be able to scale (resolution wise) properly, and will probably use VS2008 if not much progress has been made in labview in this area.....

Thanks for your input!

Message 1 of 6
(2,603 Views)

Not really, I have done some things with the panel resize events and re-calculating size and position of controls.  Labview is OK with a single control, I have also used splitter bars to anchor multiple controls. But if you are looking for Labview to dynamically scale a fully featured UI, in my opinion its not looking good!

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,575 Views)

I really can't understand NI's slow (or no) progress in this regard.  In this day and age of widely varying (and constantly changing) screen resolutions, you would think this would be a bit higher on the priority list.

Is there anyone else that would like this feature?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,559 Views)

Try posting your suggestion(s) on the LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Visualize the Solution

CLA

LabVIEW, LabVIEW FPGA
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,549 Views)

@tartan5 wrote:

In this day and age of widely varying (and constantly changing) screen resolutions, you would think this would be a bit higher on the priority list.

You might, but consider that many programs written in LV (including those built into EXE) are probably run on one or few stations, where it's easier to tell the users "don't change resolution" than to write any code which will handle this.

I don't have the experience with VS necessary to compare the two, but I assume that VS is still better at this.

NI is certainly aware of the demand for something like this, but they also announced that LV 2011 would focus on stability and performance improvements, so I wouldn't expect to see any progress in this area in the next couple of years.

Also, if you go to the idea exchange, search it first. I believe people already posted related ideas.

(2,529 Views)

@tst wrote:

...it's easier to tell the users "don't change resolution" than to write any code which will handle this.

I've never had much luck with that.  I seem to hit the full spectrum from the power user running quad monitor HD+ resolution setups to almost-retired ageing users running CRT monitors at 800 x 600 so they can see the Icons....Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,524 Views)