LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW

HI people,

Why my graph doesn't complete its execution after going to the second stack diagram. The first one was ok, but when it comes to the second stack, it just stuck at one of my subvi.

Regards,

TanKW

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(2,902 Views)

Ask your company how much they would pay me to come in and recode all of this for you. Smiley Wink I'm kidding.

OK, so I'm assuming you're talking about the stacked sequence structure that is the 4th structure down? The one where the second sequence has a while loop inside of it with a case structure inside of that with a flat sequence inside of that with more flat sequences inside of  that? Is that the one?

I think first you have to tell us which subVI is causing it to hang. Is it the one you were having a problem with before called "display mas and ana data with auto starting time on the interface.vi". You were having a problem with the Scan From String function every time it received an empty string value. Is that what is still causing problems?

Elaborate a bit and we'll see if Ravens Fan can figure it out.

Eric

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(2,890 Views)

Yah "display mas and ana data with auto starting time on the interface.vi" is the subvi, where the graph cannot be executed. It just stuck there and I really dont know what is the problem that causes that.

I had solved the Scan from String Function, the program now hsa no errors at all but it just happened that the graph in the stated area does not finish executing.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(2,881 Views)

Hi kok,

why do you open a new thread when we have to look at the same messy source code? Why not stick with your original thread?

Why don't you give a subscriptive name for the thread? "LabVIEW" isn't telling much about your problem and will definitely not help in searching the forum for related topics...

Why don't you use the debugging techniques described to you in your other thread?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(2,868 Views)

Hi GerdW,

I had tried the debugging methods that you all had suggested in the previous posts, but it seems that it still doesn't work. Somehow I think that the problem lies with the Subvi of mine which had been mentioned earlier on. The whole program just got stuck in there and didn't continue. 

But I must say that some of the problems I had faced previously, had been solved using the debugging methods. Thank you.

Regards,

TanKW 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(2,863 Views)

TanKW,

GerdW makes a valid point. We're all on here to help each other out, but you have to help us help you. One of the reasons that making new posts about the same subject is rarely effective is because it's the same people that were reading your original post that read your new post. If you make a post that lacks detail or description then those that would potentially help you have no idea where to even begin. Additionally, it makes it seem like you aren't putting any effort in and you're hoping that others can magically fix the problems with the code. The truth may be that you're putting a lot of hard work in trying to fix your bugs, but you need to give us more detail about what you've tried.

That detail might include:

• The name of the VI that you suspect is giving you problems
  • What you've done to debug and what you've discovered so far
  • The name of the main VI when you upload your entire application
  • Descriptions of specific controls/indicators you are having problems with. You previously said your graph doesn't complete its execution. Which one?
  • If you mention a structure used in your code and there are five of those structures, we won't know which one you are talking about without more description or a screenshot (compressed, not bmp!).

There are a lot of bright and helpful people willing to help out, but you have to provide more information to enable those people to help you. That will take a bit more work on your end when making posts, but in the end it will be a time saver because you'll fix your bug faster and learn more. You just have to decide if you're willing to put in that effort.

Eric

Message 6 of 10
(2,832 Views)

Hi,

I must say that I had put in efforts in trying to debugging my own program but I am actually new to Labview. Maybe you people are right to say that I had not provided detailed description about my problem faced and I apologised for that.

Recently, I have edited my program and maybe you guys can take a look. Maybe I should tell you guys what my program does before helping me. The program I had created is a monitoring system that collects data at an interval of 15 mins and plot the graphs and values whenever data are being collected.

Problem faced : 1) The graph does not replot for the new data collected, it remains the same for the inital data collected. The graph that I am refering to is                        

in state 1 of stack sequence structure and last state of flat sequence structure in state 1 of stack sequence structure (all the graphs).

Possible reasons causing the problem : 1) By looking at the whole process of the program, after the initial plotting it is fine, but when it comes to the new data collection, the data somehow got stuck in my subvi (display mas and ana data with auto starting time on the interface.vi) which results the graphs not to be replotted.

I hope that after providing a clearer description about my program, you guys can understand better about my program and help me out while I am also working on it.

Regards,

TanKW

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(2,805 Views)

Hi kok,

"when it comes to the new data collection, the data somehow got stuck in my subvi"

So you have to debug your subVI! You have to investigate the "somehow" - by using debugging techniques mentioned earlier. Please do that and report results of your debugging efforts!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(2,794 Views)

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the help you guys have been giving me throughout the past 1 week. I was tweaking many random things and by sheer luck, my entire VI now works like a charm.

I really appreciate all the help that I have been receiving. THANKS.

Cheers, TKW.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(2,783 Views)

Good to hear you got it working! I'm guessing it's not entirely due to "sheer luck". Debugging can be very time consuming, but there always seems to be a good lesson at the end of it. I've encountered some very good programmers (CLA level) that are often in disbelief when things aren't working correctly that it could be their fault.... that is until they find and fix the bug.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,766 Views)