LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW won't open files after copying folder from network

I have a project that I completed a year ago and uploaded the entire project folder to the network. In the year since I completed the project, my computer was upgraded to Windows 10 so I don't have the project folder on my hard-drive. I need to make some changes to the program so I downloaded the project folder to my hard-drive. I opened the project and it opens fine. When I try to open the main.vi I get an error message. the error message says LabVIEW failed to load dynamic library (attached error message) for several controls and VI's. 

I then deleted the folder that I downloaded onto my hard-drive and tried to open the project from the network folder, but I get the same error messages. Am I missing something or did I screw something up? I believe I have a copy of the software on a thumb drive, but I'm afraid to open it now until I find out why I can't open the files. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,069 Views)

Am I missing something or did I screw something up? BothSmiley Sad

The project isn't complete until all required dependencies are documented.  Now you are missing some component that you need.

Since the error is in loading a *.ctl file and claims an external dependency is missing I would start by looking for the .NET or ActiveX control in the project.  The clue to where to look is the control name.  What device in the system has channels?

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,061 Views)

I looked closer at which items are giving me the error message. There are two controls, and 10 VI's that give me errors. There must be several pieces missing as the VI's range from updating the screen to writing to file. 

There are two devices that have channels in the system. There are two different types of DAQ hardware that can be used with the software, but only one device can be used at a time (User selected on startup of the program).  

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,046 Views)

After reading my original post again, there is a part that I didn't mention (Thought I did, but must have slipped my mind). When I opened the project from the network before downloading it to my hard-drive everything worked as expected and the main.vi opened. I did a save-all on the project, and got several error messages about saving some items (I'm guessing the ones I'm having issues with now). I didn't save the errors as I assumed they were trying to save to the network. I didn't chance a single thing in the code, just opened the main.vi to look at it. did the save-all that gave me an error on some parts cause the issue? I'm not a computer programmer by degree, so I'm not sure what happened. 

Sorry for the double post, couldn't edit my reply.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,030 Views)

I believe I have figured out what happened, and unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to reverse it. When I tried to save-all, there was an error message saying I didn't have permission to save so I used the red X to close the dialog. Instead of just exiting out of the dialog, it also corrupts the file(s) that you are trying to save. This is a known issue with saving to a network drive in Windows 10 if you are using anything older than LabVIEW 2017. Here is a thread on it with more info for anyone else that comes across this post: https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/LabVIEW-error-44-and-corrupting-programs/td-p/3333540/page/3

Time to search for my thumb drive and see if I copied the project folder over to it. *Fingers crossed*

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,017 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,013 Views)

😞  The best time to use a safety harness is before you get into an accident.  😞

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,002 Views)