From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW with Kistler 5074 charge amplifier

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello all,

I've recently bought a LabVIEW license to read the data from my Kistler charge amplifier type 5074A.

https://www.kistler.com/en/product/type-5074a/.

I have had experience with LabVIEW before, but only with simple operations. e.g. Mindstorms NXG.

The amplifier is configured on Ethernet/IP. I have an EDS file from the Kistler site an a MAC address on the device.

I would like to make a VI to communicate with the amplifier and read the sensor data.

Can someone help me with this problem?

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,849 Views)

I tried to go on the Web and see how to get data from the Kistler amplifier, but was not successful.  I have had the experience of getting data from Mettler Balances through their TCP/IP outputs -- Mettler treated them as VISA ports (VISA over TCP/IP), so we just configured VISA for TCP/IP, sent it Balance commands, and started reading Weight messages.

Do you have a manual that describes how your Amplifier passes data back over TCP/IP?  How does it appear if you connect it and then open MAX and look for it under Devices and Interfaces?  You should do some experiments with Test Panels under MAX and see if you can get it to send you information -- use the commands that I hope Kistler provides and see if you get any responses.

Let us know what you find.  If you do have such a manual, and if it has a PDF version, attach the manual, I'll look up my old code, and we may be able to make some progress.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,813 Views)

Dear Bob,

Thanks for your reply.

I will try to do some experiments.

I've attached the manual.  I think 4.2.1 and 4.2.7 are the paragraph's you're looking for.

M. Mombarg

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,804 Views)

Thank you for providing the manual.  It appears that this device uses its own protocol, and does not seem to have an accessible API that you could use (like a VISA Interface like the Balances I used).  I don't have any more suggestions to make other than to contact Kistler directly.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,796 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mombis

Thank you for your reply.

I will contact the sales engineer I spoke with to ask for a solution.

If i get the help I need, I might post it on this forum to help others.

M. Mombarg

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,789 Views)

Hi Mombis

Did you find a solution how to make a VI to communicate with the amplifier and read the sensor data?

I aim to use LabView to read my sensor data using a Kistler 5074 charge amplifier, too.

Many thanks in advance,

Lukas

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(1,474 Views)

@Spirlu wrote:

Hi Mombis

Did you find a solution how to make a VI to communicate with the amplifier and read the sensor data?

I aim to use LabView to read my sensor data using a Kistler 5074 charge amplifier, too.

Many thanks in advance,

Lukas

Hello, Lukas.

Mombis hasn't visited the Forums for more than 2.5 years.  It is unlikely that he (or she) will see your request for help.  You might follow the suggestion to contact Kistler for help with reading data from this amplifier using LabVIEW -- they must have some form of output, maybe even something digital.  Is it possible that this is discussed in the documentation you received with your Kistler 704?

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(1,463 Views)