LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW will not open at all

I have been using LabVIEW this morning.  I deleted a library file for LabVIEW because I did not need it since it was a copy of another library file that I had.  After this happened, I tried opening a VI, and it gave the following warning:

Cannot find the file 'insert any VI filename here' (or one of its components). 
Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available.

At first, I thought that the file I deleted was being referenced.  This theory did not stand up because LabVIEW would not open by itself.  Any file that I try to open in LabVIEW gives me this error even though there are no library files used.  I have restarted my computer multiple times, and the problem still stands.

I am currently using Windows 2000 and LabVIEW 8.0.1.

I greatly appreciate any help that you may be able to provide.

Thanks!

Misty
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(3,128 Views)
Is the file you deleted still in your Recycle Bin? 

If so, you may want to try restoring it first. 

Is it the same file that's missing every time? 
---------------------
Patrick Allen: FunctionalityUnlimited.ca
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(3,117 Views)
Unfortunately, I emptied the recycle bin.  I have deleted many LabVIEW files and have never had this same problem.  I can not even open LabVIEW by itself.  It will just freeze up now.  Any VI that I open will give me that error regardless of if it is a stand alone VI or if it includes subVIs.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(3,111 Views)
When you just attempt to open LabView itself, (not a project) do you always have the same file missing? 

If so, it might be possible to get the file from someone else and manually replace it. 

I run 7.1 here; So probably not much help.  But others might be able to send you the VI you need, or you may be able to get it from an AE at NI.  
---------------------
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(3,098 Views)
When I try to open LabVIEW by itself, it does not give the same file error.  It instead gave me "550 That is not a directory."  This happened after at least 10 minutes of having the program open.  I did not delete any file that is specific to LabVIEW opening.  I only deleted a user created library and a VI.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(3,097 Views)
That's very strange.

Funny you should mention the 550 error, as I've been seeing the same thing but under very different circumstances.  I've been getting that error when navigating around the NI Forums.  I'll be reading something, and then suddenly a modal window with that error and an OK button will pop up. 

Hmm...I better run F-Prot. 

Although I'm not sure what to suggest at this point, other than re-installing LV.  Smiley Sad
---------------------
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(3,089 Views)
Maybe it was the NI forums that gave me the 550 error.  I did have that open, but I assumed it was LabVIEW since it was open and giving me problems.

I've been trying to find a solution on my own for this, because I would have to call our IT department to bring the cds to reinstall it.  I may end up doing that if I can not get this to work within the next few hours.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(3,086 Views)
Reinstall?

"Misty" <x@no.email> wrote in message
news:1148485210469-369823@exchange.ni.com...
> Unfortunately, I emptied the recycle bin.&nbsp; I have deleted many
> LabVIEW files and have never had this same problem.&nbsp; I can not
> even open LabVIEW by itself.&nbsp; It will just freeze up now.&nbsp;
> Any VI that I open will give me that error regardless of if it is a
> stand alone VI or if it includes subVIs.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(3,081 Views)
If you're running XP, you might be able to do a System Restore.   You might need Admin rights to run this though.

Accessories->System Tools->System Restore
---------------------
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(3,076 Views)
I'm not able to do a system restore since I'm using Windows 2000.  I've been trying to figure out this, but it seems I might have to call the IT dept to get them to reinstall it.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(3,075 Views)