LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW (which is a programming IDE) with STM32 (which is a microprocessor)

how can i connect LabVIEW (which is a programming IDE) with my STM32 (which is a microprocessor) and program it ?

Message 1 of 13
(5,999 Views)

Hi Mahdi,

@Mahdi_bayat wrote:

how can i connect LabVIEW (which is a programming IDE) with my STM32 (which is a microprocessor) and program it ?

You cannot.

Basically only NI hardware is supported, beside usual Windows/MacOS/Linux desktop computers…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(5,977 Views)

You can't.

You need to use what ever development environment the manufacturer of  the processor provides.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(5,974 Views)

Actully i need something like "LabVIEW Embedded Module for ARM Microcontrollers. ".

Is there anything for stm32 ?

Message 4 of 13
(5,965 Views)

No

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(5,952 Views)

Thanks.

Can I edit  "LabVIEW Embedded Module for ARM Microcontrollers. " For stm32 ?

Message 6 of 13
(5,898 Views)

@Mahdi_bayat wrote:

Thanks.

I'm going to say, "no", but if you have to ask the question, it is way beyond your ability to even make the attempt, let alone to succeed.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(5,891 Views)

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z0000004A0ESAU&l=en-US

I've never used that toolkit... looks like the tool was discontinued back in 2012. I doubt it's worth your time. That article isn't exactly clear on whether or not it worked with STM32.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(5,883 Views)

@billko wrote:

@Mahdi_bayat wrote:

Thanks.

I'm going to say, "no", but if you have to ask the question, it is way beyond your ability to even make the attempt, let alone to succeed.

Fully ditto that! One of the reason NI discontinued that toolkit was that it is far from a typical LabVIEW user experience. It requires you to know more than enough about programming your embedded target from the C toolchain, that the question arises: why even start to try to use LabVIEW instead?

And it's not something NI could simply fix. Developing a seamless deployment experience like for the NI relatime targets or with the Linx Toolkit for Raspberry Pi and Beaglebone Black (although here it is less seamless) is a major investment. None of these other embedded targets has even remotely a large enough potential user base that that effort could ever be considered justified. So the Embedded Toolkit was an attempt to develop a compromise. Instead of developing a seamless deployment experience, allow the Toolkit to translate the LabVIEW code into (pretty convoluted) C++ code that then can be massaged, kindly coerced and adapted to eventually be compilable in the C++ toolchain for the target system. Except that each C++ toolchain is quite different even if they are based on the omnipotent GCC source code (and by far not all embedded toolchains are, and even more so were back then, GCC based). To get the resulting C++ code to cleanly compile in the according toolchain is an exercise in C preprocessor magic that you need to adapt in a number of header files that the Embedded Toolkit uses. If you have the knowledge to do that, you are likely faster by starting to develop everything in C++ right away.

Basically supporting the Embedded Toolkit was for NI an impossible task. Even for targets specifically supported by preconfigured configurations made by NI, it was painful since a new version of the embedded toolchain could throw a wrench into the process.

And for embedded targets not explicitly supported out of the box, things were even more grave. The people who would have been able to adapt the header files to work with the according toolchain, would almost never even have considered to start using LabVIEW in the first place, and the other people would lack the knowledge to even understand what needed to be done, even if a dedicated LabVIEW engineer would have taken them by their hand and guided them step for step through all the problems. But I think it is clear, that such a dedicated support would end up in a many 10 thousand $ support contract, which nobody is going to even consider.

That you could only debug the resulting applications through native tools of the embedded toolchain, once it was compiled and not through LabVIEW anymore, was another big problem. 

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 9 of 13
(5,858 Views)

Dear rolfk,

Don't you want to sell more Labview?

If your answer is yes, wouldn't you like to produce STM32 module or Pic Mcu modules etc. and sell at a price of 2K USD or more?

Regards,

Mustafa Ekelik

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(5,723 Views)