From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW version merge

Every year a new LabVIEW comes out... and every year I find myself thoroughly annoyed as I reinstall / move all of my packages, libraries, etc.  And, every year I think "there HAS to be a better way to do this - but I don't have time right now to figure it out".

SO... has anyone know of (or has written) a tool to automate this process?  VIPM works for some of them, but not everything

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,335 Views)

Well... no one is twisting your arm (as far as I can tell) to install the latest greatest LabVIEW.  😉

When I was a young gun, I used to live on the bleeding edge.  Nowadays, I just want something that works, so I let the young guns bleed while I watch and wait.

Of course, that only delays the pain of reinstalling stuff for all your stuff for the new version - but at least you have an idea of what installs well and what doesn't.

Unfortunately, I don't have a solution to your problem.  😞

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 2 of 4
(2,266 Views)

You could do it the "LabVIEW way", namely install all of your packages and Libraries inside the LabVIEW 20xx folder in Program Files x86\National Instruments, probably as sub-folders in user.lib.  It seems (to me) that when I load an older (say LabVIEW 2014) VI in a more recent (say LabVIEW 2016) version, force-converting it when I save the file, the library routines are not similarly converted.  In addition, I've noticed that a number of utilities that I use (including some NI supporting routines, like those in the Report Generation Toolkit) are converted the first time I call them and save the calling file, as though older versions were in the newer libraries, only getting converted when used/saved.  This suggests to me that this technique might actually work ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,261 Views)

@billko wrote:

Well... no one is twisting your arm (as far as I can tell) to install the latest greatest LabVIEW.  😉

When I was a young gun, I used to live on the bleeding edge.  Nowadays, I just want something that works, so I let the young guns bleed while I watch and wait.

Of course, that only delays the pain of reinstalling stuff for all your stuff for the new version - but at least you have an idea of what installs well and what doesn't.

Unfortunately, I don't have a solution to your problem.  😞

This is an age old argument 🙂  I personally like to install early so that if something doesn't work I know right away. This lets look for a solution before it becomes critical... and if nothing breaks with the new version I get to start playing with new toys early!

I've tried the whole "copy <install directory>\user.lib\,  \instr.lib\, etc" before.  It again catches some of my libraries, but not everything - especially when we're talking about NI libraries like VeriStand and TestStand APIs.

I gave up this time and just installed everything manually.  It sure would be nice to have a way to "export" libraries and settings so that when I move versions, upgrade computers, install on a new computer, etc I don't need to spend a few hours installing packages and configuring LV.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,234 Views)