LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW subscription model for 2022

Solved!
Go to solution

If I was NI/Emerson and finding it difficult to finance MacOS LabVIEW Development, what I'd do is open it up to community involvement under NDA where coding contributors get free licenses. Use of this pseudo-open-source model could keep support for the OS alive while developing a pool of proven talent to hire from for Linux and Windows development. Of course, I'm assuming the the core LabVIEW code is the same and built on a multi OS platform (QT or whatever) such that work up the learning curve for one OS translates to another OS with low effort.

0 Kudos
Message 721 of 756
(1,065 Views)

Replying to your comment on the purged posts. I learned the hard way to make constructive criticisms only once or twice. Beyond that, people who are determined not to "get it" only become resentful. My track record of being right is pretty good as most of the companies that didn't listen don't exist anymore. Running a business is tough and the 10 year business failure rate is a little less than 80%. If I was NI, I'd run an experiment pushing LabVIEW in a systems programming direction, to broaden the applicability. The question is whether this could distribute R&D expenditures across a larger user base and boost profitability while reducing end-user costs. The fundamental problem is that keeping pace with Windows and other OS versions imposes a baseline R&D cost, even if LabVIEW remains static. The user base needs to be broad enough to support this baseline cost at a competitive price.

0 Kudos
Message 722 of 756
(1,051 Views)

What I don't like about Windows is the tendency of Windows Update to reboot computers in the middle of long-term tests.”

In windows pro you can turn this ‘feature’ off.

---

25+ years long fan of LabVIEW. Be aware that NI changed their business model with great impact .
0 Kudos
Message 723 of 756
(972 Views)

@beuvink wrote:

What I don't like about Windows is the tendency of Windows Update to reboot computers in the middle of long-term tests.”

In windows pro you can turn this ‘feature’ off.

Well honestly unless there is a good reason for it, a computer running a long-term test does not need to be connected to the internet. 

No internet means no mandatory updates and corresponding reboots.  

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 724 of 756
(965 Views)

Problem I encounter are IT departments that INSIST that the computer has to be connected, plus load all their crap on it until they realize the control program doesn't like a lot of their stuff.

Message 725 of 756
(955 Views)

@teritask wrote:

Problem I encounter are IT departments that INSIST that the computer has to be connected, plus load all their crap on it until they realize the control program doesn't like a lot of their stuff.

Yes I have dealt with ignorant IT people over the exact same issue.

We came to an agreement that computers used for testing will not be connected to the internet or corporate network. In exchange for them not applying the corporate security policies and giving us full administrator rights to those computers.  

========================
========================
Message 726 of 756
(964 Views)

It can sometimes help to label the system specifically as measurement instrument and try to avoid anything that mentions computer, Windows, PC or similar. 😀

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 727 of 756
(960 Views)

THen QA will absolutely insist it needs to be calibrated... 😅 

Message 728 of 756
(912 Views)

@Newton_TP wrote:

THen QA will absolutely insist it needs to be calibrated... 😅 

That's what "No Calibration Required" stickers are for. 

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 729 of 756
(906 Views)

whoosh!

0 Kudos
Message 730 of 756
(885 Views)