From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW subscription model for 2022

Solved!
Go to solution

@billko wrote:

@benjamin-hinrichs wrote:

Just one? I've had many that were well out of sight for a long time. Some I never managed to solve (like a crash on exiting a program).

Still ChatGPT is generating a huge hype because it is one the first language models to produce goodish code. I would treat it like I handle junior code: with eyes open, a lot of review and coaching (I don't know how coaching would come into play). Still it appears to be a fraction of the cost of a junior programmer and more readily available (no hiring overhead, etc).

I can see this technology being a huge step forward in a few years. As programmers we would focus on the broad strokes, gathering requirements and translating them for an AI to code and validating the code once written.

As of yet I would trust the language model with unit tests and syntax completion (in text languages). But we'll have to see some serious work from NI for these technologies to interface with LabVIEW. VI scripting can be very slow at times (and github copilot produces several different suggestions at a time). Also given how long certain features took to be implemented in the past, I'm not holding my breath on that one.

I'm looking forward to a decade or two of second-rate software with subtle bugs that no one will ever be able to figure out... Wait, aren't we there already?

I'm not looking forward to 10-20 years down the line when companies have neglected investing in their own future and haven't been mentoring entry levels to become the next generation of senior devs in a decade or two. The talent pipeline issue that's going to be created will be the biggest issue methinks. There won't be entry level positions to gain skills beyond entry level unless you can subsidize your own side projects and practice beyond school...

~ The wizard formerly known as DerrickB ~
Gradatim Ferociter
0 Kudos
Message 631 of 748
(1,125 Views)

@1100fps wrote:

My expectation is that 2016  will be quite functional for at least a few more years.  The programs work, the software is usable, and you OWN the programming environment.  How likely is it that NI will put forward features, or improvements in the next few years that will make the transition attractive.  In your case, upgrading from 2016 would be expensive in any case.  NI has an uncertain future.  It looks like they are trying to maximize profits by pushing their support and sales off to third parties, and are in active talks to find a buyer. The resulting short term increase in profit may make them attractive enough to be picked up by a private equity group that is only interested in the return they can squeeze out.  The future of NI is uncertain.  It is prudent to coast on an existing license while exploring alternate options, or hoping the company makes a concerted effort to better serve their customer.  Then again, there is always a chance that another party may rise up to create a credible replacement for LabVIEW, maybe even an open source environment community supported..  My license is permanent and frozen.  When talking to young people about programming for industrial environments, I always mention LabVIEW, and suggest they look elsewhere.  It's a sad thing.

They found a buyer.

https://www.emerson.com/en-us/news/2023/04-emerson-ni-acquisition

They also have some legal troubles.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/shareholder-alert-weiss-law-investigates-national-instrumen...

The future is quite uncertain.

"maybe even an open source environment community supported."

I would be very interested in that. However, I think that is a rather daunting task.

"When talking to young people about programming for industrial environments, I always mention LabVIEW, and suggest they look elsewhere. It's a sad thing."

I can no longer recommend it either. It is sad.

Sam Taggart
CLA, CPI, CTD, LabVIEW Champion
DQMH Trusted Advisor
Read about my thoughts on Software Development at sasworkshops.com/blog
GCentral
Message 632 of 748
(1,089 Views)

@Taggart wrote:

They also have some legal troubles.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/shareholder-alert-weiss-law-investigates-national-instrumen...

They seem to specialize in suing boards of directors for breaching fiduciary duty. It seems a business model in its own in suing happy America. I wonder what they would expect they should have asked instead. 😁

"maybe even an open source environment community supported."

I would be very interested in that. However, I think that is a rather daunting task.

That is wishful thinking. Nobody ever made anything substantial in that respect in the almost 40 years that LabVIEW exists. It's not just daunting but simply impossible without a few deka millions of funding. For something that is then given away for free? I don't think so. 😁 The Internet hype is long gone. Although thinking of it, if you put AI on it, it may still actually be possible to get that much of money. Who wants to start a 20 million fundraiser for a LabVIEW AI project?

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 633 of 748
(1,065 Views)

@1100fps wrote:

How likely is it that NI will put forward features, or improvements in the next few years that will make the transition attractive..

That might depend on how much you value zooming.  Sounds like a public beta is coming soon, with several IDE improvements.  Although coming from 2016 you are getting other goodies like VIMs, Forward Compatible Runtime, CLI, Python integration, type specialized structure, and interfaces just to name a few.

0 Kudos
Message 634 of 748
(1,056 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

@1100fps wrote:

How likely is it that NI will put forward features, or improvements in the next few years that will make the transition attractive..

That might depend on how much you value zooming.  Sounds like a public beta is coming soon, with several IDE improvements.  Although coming from 2016 you are getting other goodies like VIMs, Forward Compatible Runtime, CLI, Python integration, type specialized structure, and interfaces just to name a few.

Don't forget Sets and Maps, which was my biggest reason to move to 2019 when I did.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 635 of 748
(1,002 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

Don't forget Sets and Maps, which was my biggest reason to move to 2019 when I did.

Or TLS support on native TCP connections.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 636 of 748
(991 Views)

@IlluminatedG wrote:

I'm not looking forward to 10-20 years down the line when companies have neglected investing in their own future and haven't been mentoring entry levels to become the next generation of senior devs in a decade or two. The talent pipeline issue that's going to be created will be the biggest issue methinks. There won't be entry level positions to gain skills beyond entry level unless you can subsidize your own side projects and practice beyond school...

This is just as big of a deal as the increased cost IMHO. Finding a mechanical engineer with a bit of Python or Matlab experience is about a billion times easier than finding one with LabVIEW experience, and it's not getting better. We haven't needed a full time LabVIEW dev, but we did need someone who could do a bit of it on the side. We've tried both training current hires and looking for new hires with some experience and can't find anyone that could do, say, 25% LabVIEW dev and 75% other work (like myself).

Though we've been on subscription a while now (Alliance member) I have told my bosses we need to put our resources into other languages since LabVIEW's future is so uncertain. We've just sent an offer to someone who can do 75% engineering work and 25% C/.net/Python related work, and we have no plans to train him up on LabVIEW. It's sad because I really enjoy programming it, but I think I'll be switching over the next few years to something more commonly useful.

Message 637 of 748
(967 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

I don't need zooming myself but I'm cautiously optimistic about other IDE improvements. Any ideas what the other improvements are?

0 Kudos
Message 638 of 748
(955 Views)

@BertMcMahan wrote:

I don't need zooming myself but I'm cautiously optimistic about other IDE improvements. Any ideas what the other improvements are?

I have heard a few things, but I can't be specific until the public beta is announced.  Then I can link to publicly available things, like I did with Stephen's comment.

0 Kudos
Message 639 of 748
(940 Views)