LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW subscription model for 2022

Solved!
Go to solution

I don't feel sad programming in LV.  The environment is sound enough for my applications and customers, and it's an environment I'm comfortable with.  Even frozen at version 21, it will meet my needs for several years to come.

In my case, Machine Vision usually involved, so it will probably be a version of C, since most of the vision libraries are in C.

Oddly, a few machine vision software folks offer a scripting environment that will handle I/O, and Robotic motion. I'll know more after the vision show in Boston, but I believe the final result is compiled code.

Open MV / CV  libraries for  C++, Python, Java and MATLAB is another direction.  I could take my annual LabVIEW maintenance budget and use it to support Open MV development, and may end up way ahead of the game.. Thinking about that one.

Message 431 of 752
(2,398 Views)

@WavePacket wrote:

@BertMcMahan wrote:

So for those of you wanting a hedge against LV's possible downfall, what are you going with? Python, C, Qt, etc? As much as I hate to admit it I really need to start transitioning myself off LabVIEW. If it survives this transition then great, but I'm not holding my breath. I personally have done a bit of coding in several languages, but haven't done GUI's or anything "interactive" in anything else.

Unfortunately I can't wait until LabVIEW's dead to start learning something new. Given the sudden increase in likeliness, I need to start the weaning process.

The main options that I know of are c# or vb with .net, and python with some form of qt. If anyone knows other combos, please let me know too! I'm diversifying as well.

(As an aside/venting, I actually even feel sad when I code in LabVIEW now, it feels kinda like wasting my time. Other people feel the same?)

I don't feel like I'm wasting my time, but I do feel like I am watching the last of the Passenger Pigeons.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 432 of 752
(2,398 Views)
  • Tkinter comes with Python.
  • Matplotlib can draw a plot into a Tkinter.Canvas nice and easy.
  • Pubish process variables to MQTT using the Paho library.
  • G Open Source Project MQTT Client to publish process variables from LabVIEW. 
  • https://git.gsi.de/EE-LV/Python/MQTT-SQLite-Logger, boolean and double at this time. 
  • Store time series data to InfluxDB. 
  • Connect MQTT Topics to InfluxDB using Telegraf.
  • Use e.g. Pykka as substitute for NI Actor Framework. Example: https://git.gsi.de/EKS/Python/ACDAQ/PyAcdaq
  • There more actor oriented Python libraries available, but not jet tried by myself.
  • Use Spyder as IDE.
  • Jupyter Lab for Browser based developments.
  • SQLite to create a meta database as substitute for NI DataFinder, e.g.
  • Do not forget about Raspi and Arduino. 

Best Holger

Message 433 of 752
(2,380 Views)

@WavePacket wrote:

In their official response to this thread, NI also wanted a "continuing conversation". We could all put in our signatures a link to this thread to help welcome more people into that conversation.

Great idea, maybe even some NI people would join in...

@BertMcMahan wrote:

So for those of you wanting a hedge against LV's possible downfall, what are you going with? Python, C, Qt, etc?

I'm already using C extensively, so i'll jump to C#, which is also used at my company. We only have one application where we use labview anyway.

Message 434 of 752
(2,296 Views)

C# is a good language, but it entails so much...
* GUI

* in LabView predefined functions

* Communication between separate threads

* existing drivers 

🤔🙄☹️😢

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Eugen Wiebe
Bernstein AG
CLAD - Certified LabView Associate Developer
0 Kudos
Message 435 of 752
(2,266 Views)

@AeroSoul wrote:

@WavePacket wrote:

In their official response to this thread, NI also wanted a "continuing conversation". We could all put in our signatures a link to this thread to help welcome more people into that conversation.

Great idea, maybe even some NI people would join in...

Let's do it! I have to admit not knowing how to edit my signature though, haha.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please join the conversation to keep LabVIEW relevant for future engineers. Price hikes plus SaaS model has many current engineers seriously concerned...

Read the Conversation Here, LabVIEW-subscription-model-for-2022
Message 436 of 752
(2,181 Views)

@WavePacket wrote:
Let's do it! I have to admit not knowing how to edit my signature though, haha.

Click on your avatar at the top the the page.  In the drop-down, click "My Settings".  The signature is in the Personal->Personal Information tab.  It is an HTML input.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 437 of 752
(2,157 Views)

In response to replies about direction we are going to take.  We have C, Python, and Mathlab available to us.  The last department meeting we had seems to indicate we are favoring Mathlab because of its built in evaluation tools.  Our goal is to produce a course that will service industry and R1 research institutions.  So we favor the idea of Mathlab, but we are also looking at possibility of using Python.  As I mentioned before, the vote right now is leading towards Mathlab.

0 Kudos
Message 438 of 752
(2,108 Views)

This new SaaS is disheartening to say the least. I like may here have been on the NI highway for a long time...since 1994 here. I have been a part of "one man / two man" shops as well larger organizations. What I believe this will do is ultimately shutdown and put out of business, those smaller one/two person companies...you know, the ones who helped NI get on the road to success. Back when NI was smaller they relied on the small business Alliance Members to integrate their products and make them shine. That small business model will only yield one, two, maybe three projects per year, depending upon the size and complexity of the projects they are awarded. The way these smaller companies can increase their revenue is to utilize a tool for more than one year...as many years as it makes sense to be more to the point. They can have a multi-year project that may not yield much money because a lot of time is spent waiting for other things to be done but now instead of paying for a single copy of LabVIEW, which they would have had the rights to use multiple years, they now have to diminish their profits to pay for LabVIEW every year. That may not sound like much to the NI folks, but to the small business owner, it means everything. If they have to include multi-year pricing, they might effectively price themselves out of a job. Imagine adding another 5k or 10k to that price tag due to software costs. It will go to a larger company that has more resources, more sharing, more simultaneous projects. Some might say that you can share the costs across your customer base...for small businesses that is not as stable or known as the larger companies. They have just added a lot more risk for the small business owner...not a good thing to do and certainly not a thank you to all of those people who helped NI shine through the years.

There is an entirely different dynamic with larger businesses and I have read through the comments, I agree with what you all are saying. It will be a much tougher sell to the bosses.

As I read through the comments, I was hoping to see messages from Eric to address the concerns and state that NI will reconsider their position on this. I have not seen the major request that nearly everyone is asking about...Bringing back the perpetual license. I see cherry picking of topics trying to justify his decision to move LabVIEW to the SaaS model. There are other ways to get the feedback that NI is looking for regarding their products. The scape goat that is the SaaS is not method that will yield the best results. I wish there would be some consideration for those who are telling NI that this new subscription model will harm us more than help us.

This is a serious question for Eric, How many more ways do we need to explain it to help you understand what you are doing to us as LabVIEW developers?

Since 2-cents is not enough these days...this is my 4-cents... 🙂

Message 439 of 752
(2,087 Views)

@BertMcMahan wrote:

So for those of you wanting a hedge against LV's possible downfall, what are you going with? Python, C, Qt, etc? As much as I hate to admit it I really need to start transitioning myself off LabVIEW. If it survives this transition then great, but I'm not holding my breath. I personally have done a bit of coding in several languages, but haven't done GUI's or anything "interactive" in anything else.

Unfortunately I can't wait until LabVIEW's dead to start learning something new. Given the sudden increase in likeliness, I need to start the weaning process.

I already know VB.NET somewhat. 

I actually started programming in C in MS-DOS.

I will be taking time now to learn Python.

Even without the possible demise of LabVIEW, Python seems to have gained quite a foothold.

Message 440 of 752
(2,054 Views)