LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW subscription model for 2022

Solved!
Go to solution

With a SSP (which my company uses right now I think), if you choose not to renew to the subscription -- do you get perpetual licenses at the current release?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please join the conversation to keep LabVIEW relevant for future engineers. Price hikes plus SaaS model has many current engineers seriously concerned...

Read the Conversation Here, LabVIEW-subscription-model-for-2022
Message 31 of 752
(3,495 Views)

@WavePacket wrote:

With a SSP (which my company uses right now I think), if you choose not to renew to the subscription -- do you get perpetual licenses at the current release?

Yes. An SSP is not a lease, it's access to upgrades and tech support. You could stop now and keep your existing LV license forever. With the new model, you stop paying, you stop playing. It's similar to how Microsoft does Office now, except it's thousands of dollars per year instead of like $100. Consider it as software Netflix.

Message 32 of 752
(3,486 Views)

@Kevin_Price wrote:

@WavePacket wrote:

The main thing that I'm worried about is that you do not receive a perpetual license if you stop, you should just be frozen at that version.

No, it's actually much worse than that, at least from my understanding.  When your subscription stops, so does all access to any LabVIEW dev environment licensed under the subscription model.  So you could no longer even *examine* your code, let alone modify it.

-Kevin P

That is worse...I mean as a corporation that's a huge risk that we'd have to accept, and our managers definitely consider such risks when evaluating suppliers. What am I supposed to tell them when this comes up? (1) LV was already expensive, and (2) the new Ts and Cs mean we lose complete access to our internal code if we decide to stop paying.

They will ask what specific and articulable value we get form continuing? What should I tell them? It would be great if someone from NI would step in here and provide their perspective on why the change, it's clearly unsettling many LV devs, both present and future.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please join the conversation to keep LabVIEW relevant for future engineers. Price hikes plus SaaS model has many current engineers seriously concerned...

Message 33 of 752
(3,480 Views)

@BertMcMahan wrote:

@WavePacket wrote:

Yes. An SSP is not a lease, it's access to upgrades and tech support. You could stop now and keep your existing LV license forever. With the new model, you stop paying, you stop playing. It's similar to how Microsoft does Office now, except it's thousands of dollars per year instead of like $100. Consider it as software Netflix.

Ok, so the next time teh SSP roles around we'll have to choose. Could we not renew to keep our existing LV license forever, and then begin a separate subscription? Thus freezing a version that we'd have forever if needed, and then we could continue to do a subscription as long as we felt it was worthwhile.

Message 34 of 752
(3,473 Views)

@WavePacket wrote:

Ok, so the next time teh SSP roles around we'll have to choose. Could we not renew to keep our existing LV license forever, and then begin a separate subscription? Thus freezing a version that we'd have forever if needed, and then we could continue to do a subscription as long as we felt it was worthwhile.

I think I saw somewhere that, if you're in good standing with your SSP, they'll give you a discount on the first year (or two? three?) of the lease version. I don't know if that's contingent upon converting your existing perpetual license to a lease, or if it is for a new license.

It would indeed be good to hear from NI on this. Unfortunately I think they're probably OK with losing half their customers. If they double the annual cost and lose half their customers, then they maintain the same revenue but have half the number of tech support inquiries.

Message 35 of 752
(3,462 Views)

Ultimately I can’t speak for NI but it is my understanding that if you make use of the offer to buy a subscription for the same price your SSP was in the past you basically turn your existing perpetual license into a subscription. If you however let your SSP lapse and pay for a new subscription at normal price they can’t legally take your existing perpetual license away. Of course there is also a technical side about how long the license servers will keep remembering your perpetual license. That may get a problem once you need to reinstall your 2021 version on your computer again or on a new computer after your old stopped working.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 36 of 752
(3,447 Views)

This news is so bad that will put into jeopardy thousands of LV developers around the world.

I am freezing too to LV2021, moving my multi billion company away from LV for any new project starting from now.

Enjoy!

Message 37 of 752
(3,347 Views)

Bye bye labview! First cancelling NXG, now this.

Message 38 of 752
(3,263 Views)

@Wouter.Sas wrote:

Bye bye labview! First cancelling NXG, now this.

That's my fear!...

Message 39 of 752
(3,252 Views)

Well.... in subscription model, is following style general?

When I worked as alliance partner, I needed to create purchase order at each year. It's general I think.

LabVIEW - NI

This Subscription will automatically renew at the end of its Term at then-current prices. I understand that I can cancel my subscription prior to each renewal date.

Certified LabVIEW Developer
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions

GCentral
Message 40 of 752
(3,197 Views)