cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW subscription model for 2022

Solved!
Go to solution

@Eric1977 wrote:

If you don't mind me asking...what was it before?

If you don't mind my asking, what is your obsession with absolute numbers?  "Around 40%" should give you an idea in round numbers.

Edit: Holy cow, I didn't realize I used almost the same phrase as you did.  I didn't mean to sound like I was mocking you.  Sorry.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 301 of 732
(1,934 Views)

If you don't mind my asking, what is your obsession with absolute numbers?  "Around 40%" should give you an idea in round numbers.

Edit: Holy cow, I didn't realize I used almost the same phrase as you did.  I didn't mean to sound like I was mocking you.  Sorry.

🤣 uh huh...sure Bill.

Message 302 of 732
(1,917 Views)

@Eric1977 wrote:

🤣 uh huh...sure Bill.

That has to make the top five on the list of my personal faux pas on the forum.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Message 303 of 732
(1,872 Views)

The quotes I received for the subscription program were of roughly 3 times the annual renewal program. From something around US$ 2k to something close to US$ 6k. Very difficult to justify to the management specially for those with many licenses.

I hope someday in the near future NI realizes the mistake they are doing. This strategy will definitely reduce their global presence.

But I do agree with the many comments that Labview is easier for a beginner to program and also have dedicated drivers and libraries that speed up the projects if you compare with I would say more universal languages.

Message 304 of 732
(1,841 Views)

@FBro wrote:

The quotes I received for the subscription program were of roughly 3 times the annual renewal program. From something around US$ 2k to something close to US$ 6k. Very difficult to justify to the management specially for those with many licenses.

I hope someday in the near future NI realizes the mistake they are doing. This strategy will definitely reduce their global presence.

But I do agree with the many comments that Labview is easier for a beginner to program and also have dedicated drivers and libraries that speed up the projects if you compare with I would say more universal languages.

It's so easy, even an engineer can learn it!  However, what it really means is that it is a lot easier to create bad code in LV than in other languages.  😄

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Message 305 of 732
(1,828 Views)

I can't argue on that... 🤣

Message 306 of 732
(1,804 Views)

I feel like if they'd introduced this as part of some giant new "LabVIEW Super Edition" with some crazy good new features it'd be easier to swallow, but LV2022 has very few features that are very exciting for the average user. I know there are some important things in there, but nothing that would make companies that don't currently use LabVIEW do a double take and decide to suddenly use it.

Message 307 of 732
(1,777 Views)

Glad I am old and can retire any time.  I'm freezing my license as a perpetual, and frankly can't imagine that any new features will be presented in the next few years that will make me regret that choice.. I hope I'm wrong for the user community sake.

Message 308 of 732
(1,301 Views)

Regarding pricing. For us the subscription is approximately 80% increase per seat compared to SSP we had. Also we'd lose perpetual licenses. Since we're mostly working with PharLap (which is deprecated as of 2022), we'll just keep those assets frozen on our current version and wait a few years until we're running out of spare parts or some true innovation shows up. Until then I guess NI will not make any software revenue with us -- I suspect they're either clueless or this move is deliberate.

My boss is happy about the savings and I'm very angry at NI and will look into different languages for new projects down the road (maybe C++ and VHDL for embedded; probably Python for glue code; and a browser-based UI).

I spent over 10 years on LabVIEW and I feel like they pulled the rug from under me mid-career. That's some ambitious engineering right there 😠

----------
Although I've been 10+ years long fan of LabVIEW, I started to discourage engineers to start new projects in a SaaS language. NI must first regain trust within its community.
Message 309 of 732
(1,194 Views)

@benjamin-hinrichs wrote:

we'll just keep those assets frozen on our current version and wait a few years until we're running out of spare parts or some true innovation shows up

I spent over 10 years on LabVIEW and I feel like they pulled the rug from under me mid-career. That's some ambitious engineering right there 😠

Fully agree.

It's crazy to bump your price by 80% with zero heads up. It's just straight bonkers to do it without a significant feature upgrade. I hate to be pessimistic, but the LV2022 new features barely seem to justify a major version increment, much less an 80% price bump.

-Decoupling drivers from LV version by automatically recompiling? Nice, but meh. Only really comes up when you upgrade LV versions, so without a compelling reason to upgrade this feature seems like some basic groundwork.

-Debugging MATLAB scripts within LV? Nice, but what percentage of people use MATLAB within LV?

-Configuring MATLAB version when called...  honestly surprised this wasn't in there already. What percentage of people using MATLAB within LV have multiple version of MATLAB installed?

-Discontinuing Mathscript- they removed a feature that will require people using it to buy MATLAB, a several thousand dollar investment. (It's like they want us to stay in 2021...)

-gRPC support- can't comment on this, but it's already available via their Github and works in 2019 so you don't need 2022 to use it

-View NIPM packages used by a project- seems decent

I mean seriously? How do they expect anyone not already locked in to go for this? The only other thing is the Target structure, which admittedly could be a big deal for RT users but I don't see a lot of documentation as to what it does (probably just missed it).

Heck, I'm on subscription already and I think this is the first version to truly have zero things that interest me. I mean I'm not upset that there aren't giant features in every version (who can sustain that), I'm just upset at what this will do to the community.

Message 310 of 732
(1,162 Views)